Champion X plug gap for high altitude??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Champion X plug gap for high altitude??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Champion X plug gap for high altitude?? I bought some N.O.S. plugs and was wondering what the proper gap should be for high altitude, stock engine.

thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:43 am:

Same as any other altitude. I don't have a great photo of the wrapper, but if you read one carefully you will see that Champion recommends .025" gap for the X plugs. That's always worked fine for me, anywhere, any temperature and at any altitude.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:44 am:

a worn dime's worth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:56 am:

Thanks guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

A dime hasn't been a good plug gap gauge since 1965. Got to be a worn out silver dime !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

Rich is right, I shoulda been more spec specific: a worn MERCURY dime!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

Paper clip is the standard for plugs and coils and easy to carry on your key ring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

The A-15 type X plugs you have should be fine at high altitude. Having said that, some suggest it's a good idea switching to a hotter plug (Champion 30 or 31) for high altitude conditions.

Love the "Two Piece Heavy Stone" ad on the wax paper. They did come in 1/2" pipe but were double the price of the X.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

A great plug gapper

Plug Gapper

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

In 1921 the "Heavy Stone" Model T plugs were a dollar. The regular Champion X plugs were 75 cents.

The "Heavy Stone" plugs say Champion Toledo on them in black letters, and had a brass top several years before the X plugs did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 04:58 pm:

Not all Heavy Stone plugs had "Toledo" on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

Neat pages ! I always wanted a set of those green insulator Splitdorf plugs to run on my T. Even the name is super kewl !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

So this is not a very hot plug and may not perform very well at high altitude?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

That is a great plug for any altitude.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration