OT SNOW IN REDDING, CAL JAN 7,2017

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT SNOW IN REDDING, CAL JAN 7,2017
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

Well it happened! The first snow for the year and the first since DEC 7, 2013. It is a bit cold and snowing a bit at 09:32AM SATURDAY MORNING. HOOOOOORRRRRRAAAAAYYY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all full up here! I do enjoy seeing the 1st snow of the year myself. Im over it for this yesr. Enjoy Bill and get that T out for a run!!!
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

I picked up a 1914 T in Angel's Camp by Yosemite yesterday - got outta there before the rain came ...

Sitting here in the rain in Merced ...

Spent Tuesday thru Thursday at 7 Feathers truck stop in Canyonville, OR waiting for a clear shot south on I-5 ....

I have had my fill of precipitation ....

Freezing Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

Paying up for bragging about AZ Jim?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 03:04 pm:

'Liquid Sunshine' or just 'Heavy Humidity'???? Our Sunday game-time temp forecast is 13 degrees. Is that something like being 'freeze-dried'??? At this time of year, you can still travel to 'pick your poison'.....
("Come to Wisconsin for the cheese, and stay because its too cold for your car to start!")

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

Dallas,

It was nice to be warm for few weeks .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

I will be on the road next week Jim. Heading to SW Iowa to hunt yote. Pulling a new 16 ft trailer back for a buddy. Going to central MN to pick up a TT rear axle and other parts befor returning. Trailer is empty so if someone needs something hauled back to Indiana let me know. Hoping to stop at Andy Loso shop also.Hoping for good weather. Wishing you safe travel Jim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

Dallas,

Post over in the Classifieds.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

Days are getting noticeably longer, but these single digit temps are
getting old. A 24 temp a few days ago felt like summer had finally
arrived ! But now we're back down into frigid territory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 07:34 pm:

Amazing how 40 in Oct. is freezing, yet if it gets "up to" 38 like it's supposed to next Tuesday here, it'll feel like T-shirt weather! Two more days of expensive elec. furnace, then it's back to the heat pump. Hooraaay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

Loaded the wood stove--its small but one load will heat our home to 70 for about six or eight hours. You snow birds can have it---its about 32 here going to rain later tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:28 pm:

My Mom & Dad were born & raised California people. When I was about 10 years old my Dad's job took us to Buffalo, NY for a year. No garage with the house they rented.

Dad had always kept a nice, clean car. He had a brand new 55 Merc, and leaving it outdoors all the time was killing him. We had arrived in Buffalo in September, and one day in about March the sun was out and it looked like a glorious spring day. So he mixed up a bucket of soapy water and drug the hose out to wash the car. He soaped it all up and proceeded to rinse. And rinse. And rinse. No dice. The water had turned to ice.

He checked the thermometer and the temp was about 28. He said he could have sworn it was balmy outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:40 pm:

Got 6" now raining so floods possible
Well that here in the high desert of nevada

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:03 am:

Dick, I know exactly how your Dad felt.
We moved from Oxford England to Rochester New York, and bought a 67 Bug and a house with no garage. One winters day the sun was shinning and it felt warm, so I went out and washed the Bug. It was fine on the passenger side but the water all froze over the drivers door. It stayed like that for a couple of weeks, getting to the drivers seat was tough....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:46 am:

Snowing again here. Twice I've swept about 2" away from the shop
door in the last hour. My thermomenator reads 12. Hanging sheetrock
in the bathroom. I good project for this time of year, except all cutting
of same has to be done outside or in the shop. Those metal tools feel
10x as cold as the air around them out there !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:54 am:

Weather is starting to moderate here. A couple mornings ago it was -22. Now it's -11 and, it's expected to start to climb to +14 tomorrow with a high on Monday of +21. It'll be nice to get outside and spend some time. Then it's going right back down starting Tuesday. It's all pretty normal for January.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 02:17 am:

Dallas, what part of SW. IA. are you going to. I'm in NW. MO., maybe not too far from there. I have a lot of TT stuff that I would make you a heck of a deal on. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 05:33 am:

David Im going to Clainda Iowa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 05:41 am:

David,
I sent PM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 05:58 am:

David,thats Clarinda Iowa. Eyes not focused yet this morning!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:58 am:

The car thermometer said +1 degrees when I came from The Carterfold last night. The porch thermometer now says 8 degrees here in the mountains of N.C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:10 am:

Ok so we still have the AC cranked on here, my wife REALLY REALLY wants to see snow. She has never seen snow in her life, she is 33.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Saw the news about a big 'winter pile-up' in CT, and had a thought about the 'driver-less' technology.... Think the 'no-drivers' have ever been tested on any of our winter roads?? We already know about those "Invincible Idiots" who are out there and the hazards they present!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:26 am:

Chad, I forgot to mention in my first post, we have about 6-8 inches snow. A weekend trip to the N.C. mountains for some skiing would make your wife happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:36 am:

We get pleanty of snow in Indiana but NC roads would scare the crap out of me with snow and ice. Stopping on ice here no problem,mountian roads not so much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:55 am:

Dallas, the secondary roads here are all covered with hard packed snow. The big danger on these roads are those who think driving these roads is a sport and drive their big four wheel drive with total disregard for road conditions or anyone else on the roads. If I do not need to travel I stay home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

I would be easy to spot on snow covered roads mountain or flat. I'll be the one with FL plates driving like a local.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Spent the last few days wrapping pipes, covering plants and checking the barn and sheds for items that might freeze. Coldest temps here since 2010. It's not meant to be 18-20 degrees this far south.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

I did pick up an Iguana this morning that was stationary. Set him out in the sun to thaw out, a friend came along to check on him and he had warmed up enough to take off. Too bad he fell in the canal . . .

A few years ago we had a cold spell, massive die off of fish, and even some manatees and gators/crocs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

Maybe the cold will zap some of the invasive Pythons in the Everglades.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

The above mentioned idiots on the road are the reason I welcome 3 feet
and not 3 inches. 3 feet will keep the idiots off the road. 6 feet is even
better.

The point about driverless cars and slippery conditions is pretty funny. I
had not thought of that. Let's see how many tens of thousands of dollars
worth of sensors they can add to those vehicles to make them not get stuck.
Nevermind the crashes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

The Washington, DC area received a 2" snowfall on Saturday. Naturally, everyone panicked and the grocery store shelves were raided (and are now empty of) bread, bottled water, popcorn, and.....toilet paper.

Driving in DC is a chore even in good weather, but it's downright dangerous during snowy weather because the new 'transplants' to the area don't know how to handle the ice/snow we get. They breeze up the highways at 60mph then wonder why, when they apply the brakes, the car won't stop. I don't go out when 'the clueless' are on the roads during snow - and if I have to go to work I go at 4am when most of them are still in bed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

Apply a little heat to a snowflake and it becomes a drip!
Just saying!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 04:17 pm:

The same but different issue happens here---101 into Seaside often has fast flowing water over the road. Folks come from inland with nothing but rain and a low car going 55 mph then hit the fast water--the smart ones turn back but usually several cars up to there seat in water with a dead engine facing a hefty tow bill before the repair bill on there car. Young girls seem to be most offenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

If they had a common sense test for driving test it would be really lonley on the roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

Dallas,

I think I should be offended ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:33 pm:

At least 50% Jim. Your out there every day. From txting to reading newspaper its unbelievable what people do while driving 80mph down the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

We got the first snow of the year here in north ga and only 2-3 inches but crazy wind chill and temps have stayed below freezing for 72 hours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

Thats brutal that far south

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

Dallas, text sent. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 11:34 pm:

Dallas,

Sorry but I was reading your comment here on the forum ...

Whilst ....

Driving
Texting
Macramaing
Scottish Looming
Play solitaire
Cooking chili
Baking biscuits to go with the chili
Churning butter to go with the biscuits
Scraping ice off the windshield to keep the butter cold

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 12:41 am:

Started snowing here again around 1400hrs. Been snowing steady since.
It is 2200hrs now. Was going to put on my gear and go clear some walks
and driveways, but I'd just have to do it again in the morning, so I'll wait.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 11:44 am:

No snow---Ice is gone from leaving out side water dripping to keep from freezing. Portland news shows a bunch of folks fighting the weather. Normal here we are warmer in the winter cooler in the summer. Then its seems half of Portland comes to the coast! Daughter in Lake Port says rain thats surprising, she is much higher then Redding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

Same here Berger. I waited until this morning. 10" of new snow over night. Got the blower out to move it. It did warm up with the storm, 20* at sunrise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 02:56 pm:

Pat,

You aren't goofing around, are you ?!!! You might have
issues with the narrow walks, but you'd make short work
of the wide open spaces I have clear ... 26" at a pass !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

For Pat,

I can imagine Crocodile Dundee saying "That's a Snow Thrower".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 04:50 pm:

Freighter Jim - You apparently haven't been around the Seattle/Tacoma/Bellevue area too much or your list would include eyebrows, mascara and eye shadow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

Harold,

I was on a two lane country road years ago.
Guy coming the other way was shaving with a razor
using his inside windshield rear view mirror as a guide.
His face was covered in shaving cream.
He kept his car on the road somehow.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

"FJ".....and as the saying goes,......"and they walk among us!" Actually though, if we could keep them just "walking among us" and never "driving" among us, it'd be a lot better, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

And some folks on this site saying I am an "elitist" when my profile states that 50% of the population has less than average intelligence.
Sometimes I actually think it is much more.
The answer to why self driving cars is fairly simple. The manufacturers will build and sell the highest priced vehicle that people will buy. Self driving cars will be more expensive to buy, with higher design costs but the actual per unit cost will only be marginally higher. This is a perfect formula for manufactures and the executives who run them. The reduction in accidents and higher repair costs are just gravy.
The next step will be when the politicians pass laws that all new vehicles MUST incorporate this technology to "protect" the population from these dangerous vehicles, after a few greased hands of course.
Fortunately this will be a problem for my grandkids, I'll be long gone..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

The shop is finally shedding the snow! Had close to four feet on it and I was starting to worry some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

From here in Southern Cal sunshine, that sure looks pretty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 12:05 am:

The other day, a big section of snow on my nextdoor neighbor's roof
slid off like that. I had a serious "hit the deck" reaction like I was back
in AFG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 12:38 am:

Regarding snow load on the roof, I built a prefab metal garage (2 car, 20 X 28) in my back yard when I lived in Lancaster, CA. Now Lancaster is on the California desert, where it rarely rains, let alone snow. There isn't much of a snow load criteria in the building codes.

But the winter of 1985 was different. We got almost 24" of snow. As the snow began to build up, I cut a 4X4 post to length and wedged it under the center truss. That night, you could lay in bed and listen to patio awnings hit the ground all over the neighborhood. But in the morning my prefab garage was still standing. I went out to check everything and found that you couldn't have driven the 4X4 post out with a sledge hammer ! At that point I got the heck out of the garage just in case it did collapse.

A week later the snow was pretty much gone. When I rolled up the garage door, the snow post wasn't immediately visible. On closer inspection, the post had fallen over as the load diminished. The post was leaning against the door of my '31 Model A. Glass everywhere from the broken door window.

I put the post up each year afterward, but also tied a rope from the top of the post to the truss so it couldn't fall over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 12:43 am:

Aw come on guys, it was -80f in parts of Siberia this morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 12:43 am:

I grew up in Lancaster. When I was a little kid, it snowed over two feet. Shut the hole place down. Thought I was in hog heaven. We had a blast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 01:32 am:

While I cannot say how cold it actually was in terms of temp, the coldest I
have ever felt was while posted to Camp Apache in AFG. We were there to
relocate a bunch of buildings from a camp that had been closed. I was told
the elevation there was something like 13,000 feet. I CAN tell you that it was
beyond bitter cold ! The work area was a 10 minute walk from our tent, and
the showers (they actually had showers with hot water !) were 10 minutes walk
in another direction. Tin building, no heat. The steam from the showers formed
inches-thick ice on the walls. Let me tell you, I have never moved so fast in my
life as I did to get dried off and my clothes back on when I shut the water off !
We showered on the frozen LZ's at temps near 32f before, and that was nothing
compared to this ! Walking back to the tent was agony. The wind never stopped
blowing. Went right through your clothes. It took an hour in the rack before the
hurt of cold finally subsided.

Back down in Helmand, summer heat pegged our thermometers beyond 130f by
0800 from June to September. How I wished for some way to "bottle" that heat
for winter, and some of that cold for summer !

For reasons like this, I find it really hard to listen to whiners go on and on about
how hot or cold it is back home.

Camp Delhi, front gate thermometer, 0800hrs, July 2011

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:45 am:

Hope Portland folks are doing OK with the latest storm. Guess many have had no power for thirty hours. Living eighty miles west and probably better prepared with higher temperatures and generators its been no problem. I bet my plumber friends phones are non stop ringing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

I want to thank all of you posters for reminding me of why I live on the coast in southern California. We have had some funny fluffy white things in the sky that are leaking water for some strange reason. It got a little under 70 degrees here last week.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration