New member and new '24 T project (Barnfind)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New member and new '24 T project (Barnfind)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Klosek (Ontario Canada) on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

Hi everyone. I wanted to introduce myself and my new project to the forum. It's a '24 "barn find" I just acquired. Has been parked in one garage or another since about 1949. I was actually able to contact the guy who bought the car in 1949 (when he was 12) who was the brother of the guy's son I bought it from. Anyway, I'm in the process of sorting exactly what came with the car (boxes of spare parts included) and what direction i'll be going with the build.

It's a Canadian built ford and actually came with two engines as part of the deal. A 1924 (original to the car) and a 1926. Both turn over and never rebuilt. Wood is quite solid throughout but insects have gotten to a few of the pieces over the years.

I'm going to have a lot of questions in the coming years so look forward to hearing from you guys.

Also managed to pick up some period upgrades. The ricardo has been on the shelf for decades and seems to have original green paint. Likely moving towards a speedster-performance direction but want to keep a lot of the original body.

-Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Klosek (Ontario Canada) on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

Barnfind
Interior
Newhome
Ricardo
Warford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

Welcome on board.
Good luck with the rebuild.
Your photos make me think about the touring I found in 2005 in a barn.
Three days to get it out and three years to make it run again. It is still running and give ma a lot of joy.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

Looks great. Welcome

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

As we often say around here, welcome to the affliction. If this is your first Model T, you'll need this: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

Hi Tom. A great find. Hopefully the body trim pieces that encircle the top and lower body section is somewhere in the pile of parts you got with the deal. If they aren't there go back to the seller and see if he has them stuck back somewhere. Replacements are very hard to come by and no one is making them. Good luck with your Coupe! I have a 24 Coupe just like that but not Canadian.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

OR Welcome to the insanity. :-)
Cool! You have history back to '49!
It may perhaps look a bit derelict to some (maybe your own family) but what a cutey. And goodies along with to boot! Nice find.
Tom, quick question. Are the tracks still visible in the snow outside? Those are YOUR FIRST TRACKS made by your new car, powered or not.
There'll be more in the future. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

Welcome Tom. I'm new here too and also just made the deal to bring home (next month) my first Model T, which by chance is also a '24 and also a barn find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:22 am:

Looks like a coupla' "darn fine barn finds"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:18 am:

Welcome to the hobby Tom Model Ts are like cookies you can't have just one let us know here at "headquaters" if you need any help with anything.

-Justin-

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

Tom,

Welcome to the hobby! And yes, a speedster or wooden bodied pickup etc. would get you and the chassis back on the road sooner. And you could still rebuild/rewood as needed the 1924-25 style coupe body.

If you (or anyone else) would like a copy of the article by Ron Buckley and how he rewooded a 1925 Canadian Coupe (it is very similar to the USA & Canadian 1924-25 coupes), just drop me an e-mail with “Send Rewooding 1925 Canadian coupe article” or something similar. Those get read much sooner than the ones with no subject etc. It is from pages 30-33 of the Nov-Dec 1990 “Vintage Ford.” The club allows us to share those articles for free to help promote the club and to help bring more Ts back onto the road. If you click on my name at the beginning of the post, it brings up my profile. You can send me your e-mail address using the Private Message – or easier, my e-mail address is listed the third line down. Ron also drew up some rewooding plans and has been selling them. I will include his contact information when / if you contact me, as I prefer not to post a person’s phone or address without their permission (unless they have already been doing that themselves).

If you are interested in keeping the Canadian T mostly Canadian, then I would also suggest obtaining a copy of the MTFCI 7th edition Judging Guidelines. They recently added in information about the Canadian cars. There is still lots more to document on differences, but it is a great start. Available at: http://modeltfordclubinternationalinc.mysimplestore.com/products/judging-guideli nes-7th-edition Another great book for the new Model T owner is Bruce McCalley’s book. It doesn’t tell you how to repair or restore the T but it has lots of photos and information – primarily about the USA Ts and just a little about the Canadian Ts. Good news a lot of the items are similar. Bad news some are not. For example your Canadian T has the horn button on top of the steering wheel and the USA cars did not come from the factory that way. (There were accessory horn buttons sold by aftermarket companies for the USA cars.) Please see the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/69100.html for more information on the 1920-1927 Canadian Model T horn button.

Joining the local Model T chapter near you can be a big help to you as well as letting you be a help to them. The Model T Ford Club of America chapters (the site you are on) are listed at: http://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm#cd . And the Model T Ford Club International (MTFCI) chapters are listed at: https://nebula.wsimg.com/cef403fd63e2fc2fe1fefe14fb897006?AccessKeyId=1992A0A3E7 31FDB20580&disposition=0&alloworigin=1 Note the second link (MTFCI) has two chapters listed in Ontario.

I also normally encourage folks to read the safety items at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/696360.html It may be a while before you add gasoline to your project – but be sure you review those items before you add gasoline and try to start it or drive it. The safety items are at that thread and scroll down to the posting "By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 09:20 pm:" It could save you trouble and money.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

Don, you know we'll be looking for pics if you haven't done so already!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Ever cool.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration