New low speed drum with OEM gear ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New low speed drum with OEM gear ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

How would one go about changing a bad (cracked) low speed drum while using the existing gear?
I understand they where originally riveted together.

Dave Eddie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

They are advertised in the catalog that you send your used gear and they will rivet it for you. That's what I would do. They know how to do it correctly and have the tools to do it. The gear is also worn uniform with your other gears so if you use the existing gears, it is less likely to be noisy.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

Dave's Restoration and Machine makes excellent new drums. He will install your good hub on his new drum. He has the best price for new drums.
1-740-360-1904

He advertises in the MTFCA vintage Ford magazine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Dave you can purchase the rivets from any of the vendors. The rivets are installed cold and can be pressed in or peen with a hammer. You need to make sure that the gear and drum are pressed together and install rivets. Word of caution you can crack the drum so be careful. After riveting you will need to clean off the bearing surfaces in a lathe. Not a big deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

Thanks.... So, Mike it sounds like you have done this procedure?
Do you press the old rivets out or drill them.

I am wondering if I have one good drum with a bad gear and another good gear (bad drum) Can one good unit be made from the parts?

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

Like Mike said no big deal. You drill the rivet heads then knock out the center with a hammer and punch.

This is a brake drum / clutch hub but same process. You will need to be darn sure it is running true and then face off the rivets after shooting them cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

Dave the answer to your question, yes you can take a good gear/cracked drum and put the gear on a good drum.

I use my Bridgeport mill but a good drill press will work.
The rivets are two different sizes depending on which drum you are working with.
I use a drill bit three sizes small than the diameter of the rivet, drill about 2/3 of the way in to the rivet.
A punch and hammer will easily remove the rivet.
You will need a way to hold the gear and drum tightly together and a buck.
I have set the rivets both with a press or use a hammer with a lot of strikes to peen over.
I have some pictures of the tooling I have made to tackle this task and would be happy to email them to you tomorrow as they are on my shops computer.
You can get my email address from my profile.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration