OT styrofoam packing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT styrofoam packing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 02:57 pm:

I know that this is strange but ------
How do you get rid of those big blocks of styrofoam that protect things in boxes?

We got a coffee maker, steps for the truck, a small air compressor, and new lamp over the last few weeks.
It is easy to fold up the boxes but the blocks take up a lot of room even when I try to break them into pieces.
Other than putting them in the back of the pickup and driving down RT 95 at into Mass at 75 mph what can I do to get rid of them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 03:07 pm:

Cut them up and use for packing material when you sell/ship something. Put in the trash or recycling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

Burn them. Rich black smoke will be produced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

Some folks dissolve the styrofoam with acetone. This gets all the air out and you end up with a bucket of gooey plastic. You can pour the plastic into molds and let it dry outside (can take days), then dispose of the (now much smaller) plastic blocks. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

Some of that stuff dissolves in water Fred. Well, not exactly completely, but I believe it is "puffed up" cornstarch, and if you put it in a big bucket of water, it's volume will decrease significantly - think composting that pile of leaves.

Not all is though - experiment with a small piece--
https://www.biologycorner.com/2011/08/06/packing-peanuts/

Yes, I realize you did write "styrofoam"...and no, not the same result. (But it does melt nicely - with judicious heat!)

(Message edited by adave on January 07, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

Taking Mark Strange's idea one step further, I have a friend that used the liquid goo to "paint" a coating on the deck of his open car trailer.

Works great !!!

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

Gift wrap it and set it on your neighbors porch late at night. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

-Dennis-
MY neighbor would probably re-wrap it and put it back on MY porch the next night.... We have fun 're-cycling' birthday cards with friends - cross out the last name, then sign & mail! (The additions add to the intrigue and fun.) Pompous snobs don't participate.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

I have a neighborhood business that packs and ships for both persons
and businesses. They happily take all the lightweight packing material
I can bring them. I occasionally use their services and they offer to do
what I need for free as payback.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

Marv...we do that with Christmas cards to select friends with a sense of humor. Been doing it for years. Lots of fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

I use it for packing when I ship a item on eBay. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

Put the foam back in the box it came in and place by the curb for trash pick-up.

????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

Jerry,
Some of the small towns up here do not offer that service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Peterson on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

Throw them in the attic or above the shop ceiling for more insulation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

Dave,

Oh, didn't know that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

Repacking material but now I run my companies recycling operations I can just take it to work

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:34 am:

Put it out by the street with a sign "FOR SALE $20 dollars" someone is sure to steal it if they think it is worth something. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:08 am:

If you have a UPS store near you or a Kinko's FEDEX store or even an antique store who puts stuff up on ebay, these types of business' will often gladly take such packing materials. I try to reuse all packing materials but generally only use foam in packages I send to dealers since they will recycle it again. For things shipped directly to end users I try to use shredded paper or other packaging that can be disposed of easily by fire or garbage pickup and won't hurt to end up in a land fill. Now my newest product being a Model T driveshaft has presented a package challenge since my first obligation is to get the thing to the end user in good shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:52 am:

Mix with gasoline to produce a poor mans napalm drop down a mine shaft and ignite.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration