Holiday Motor Excursion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Holiday Motor Excursion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 06:50 pm:

Went to the HME with friend Gene Carrothers. Went smoking up the 605 at zero dark six am in his 12 Torpedo at 55-60, got there about 7, not many cars there yet as it was a cold morning and a lot of people I think were waiting to see if it was going to clear up.

I saw a whole bunch of people I knew including Humble Howard Genrich, Tom Lovejoy, Kim Dobbins, Bill and Cindy Harris and so many more I should mention but won't. Saw lots of my carburetors on cars, heard lots of stories and took a ton of photos but can't seem to get them reduced and saved to a size that will post on here. From what people said the size of the meet was about 1/4 to 1/3 of what it often is because of the weather but there were some gorgeous cars. Quite a few T's but also a Mercer factory speedster, a 27 Essex boattail speedster with wire wheels in a perfect shade of green. I will try to resize and post those pics.

Bill led us right down the street where they were setting up for the Rose Parade. We saw lots of things that were on TV in a day or two.

We went to a place called the North Country Inn for lunch that had fake snow on the roof, which is what I was trying to get away from -- snow and cold.

It was fairly nice during the day, raining hard when we went home, Gene was running 60+ in the rain on the freeway. I was surprised at how stable the Torpedo was. It was a very fun day, we stopped at several interesting places including one where the guy rebuilds steam cars. I met a lot of very nice and friendly people and one really rude woman -- that was at the first stop for donuts and hot Chocolate -- she took vast umbrage at me speaking to her without being properly introduced, something I had not thought of being from Montana where hardly anybody ever kisses up to anybody and nearly everybody is friendly, I thought she was the wife some guy had introduced me to, it wasn't, it was another woman with the California "look." Took the wind right out of my sails, which takes some doing. I was so floored by her response I didn't even think to apologize for invading her privacy. I was even more surprised to find out they were Model T people. Takes all kinds in this world but I'll bet I'll remember her from now on and make sure I don't ever speak to her again, probably never see her again anyway. But other than that, it was a great group of people, I got my picture taken a bunch of times and was thinking with my white hair they must have thought I was Jay Leno or somebody famous.

The rest of the time was fun, too. I got invited to see Kim Dobbins wonderful collection so my brother and visited there, the next day we went to install a Schebler D carburetor on the "Jack Benny" Maxwell and met a very cool guy who shepherds a fine collection and gave us some Oranges and Tangelos he picked right off a tree in his yard!!

My brother had a terrible cold so we didn't do anything Wednesday so he could rest and I came home Thursday.

It was a great 5 days, I found a fine restaurant to have breakfast in Huntington Beach called the Sugar Shack, I rented at 2017 Mustang GT to drive for a few days and spent a bunch of money but not as much as I had thought I would, ate too much, saw some cool stuff and when I told the girl at Fatburger that it was my birthday she gave me both the senior discount and the local discount and said, "I can't believe you are that old!" Even though I'm sure she could, it made my day!

I'm already making plans to go back next year, take one of my cars and try to talk my brother in to going with me even though he has no interest in anything older than about six months old, has a new F 350 and a new Lexus and doesn't understand why anybody would want this old junk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

Great report Stan, hope you get your picture resize issue worked out.

If all of your original pics are of similar size, make copies of them, then do a batch resize on all of the copies at once using the "multiple pictures" option on picresize.com. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

text/html
2016 hme kim.html (1.0 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

No luck with that. I'll try again when I have time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

I've done thousands of photos but I took all these with a different camera and when I try to resize them I get a screen that says "Your photo has not been saved. File was interrupted etc." I think it has to do with the camera program or something. I dunno.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

Download your pictures to your computer and reduce them in photoshop. Make the largest dimension 6 inches and let it resize proportionally. Then change the dpi to 72 to 100, that should do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:04 pm:

Looks to me that the photo is in wrong format. I am usually able to post *.jpg files while the one Stan tried to post was *.html
JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

Stan: The Sugar Shack for breakfast is a must-do whenever someone comes to H.B. to visit. Glad you stumbled on to it (or was Gene doing his job as H.B. tour guide)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

Great report Stan. Makes me long for temps above 10 degrees and sunshine. It's good to hear you're holding up well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

There's a brief summary and some pictures on the HCCA website.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

I'll work on the photos. The HTML format is what ended up after I tried to resize them in the picresize app. The problem is that I can resize them in JPG. with Paint but then they won't save in that size, as I said, I get a box that says "I get a screen that says "Your photo has not been saved. File was interrupted ........" There seems to be no way to get around that in Paint. I'll try some of the other ideas. The picresize works to reduce them but then they won't post here. I dunno. I haven't had much time to fool with it.

The HCCA site has a few pics of the cars parked at the Santa Anita Racetrack before the tour. Most of my pics are of the tour. No big deal.

Sean, I looked on the web for recommendations and that is what popped up. Thought I'd try it since I wanted to go see the ocean anyway. It was decent food and at a counter there is always somebody to strike up a conversation with when you are eating alone. My brother didn't like it because it is crowded and there were people right beside him very close who were eating. We all have our own likes and dislikes, I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:56 pm:

Stan, thanks for coming by my house, nice to have you and your brother. Noticed it didn't take you long to find the carbs! come back anytime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

Stan, Thanks for sharing your trip to the HME. Someday, maybe, I'll get to go too.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:48 am:

Well, I just wasted another hour trying to resize the photos. The best I can come up with is that the camera I used takes them in a very large size since I must have it set that way and there is nothing free that I can find that will resize them without possibly compromising the 2 thousand photos I already have on my computer. Photoshop wants $120 a year for use of their program -- which isn't going to happen -- others I tried simply won't save to my photo program. Somebody somewhere is a lot smarter than me about this. The camera is going in the garbage even tho I just bought a new $30 battery for it. The photos probably weren't that great anyway. Just stuff I took pictures of while we were on the tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john neilson on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:18 am:

If I may offer a suggestion;
take a look at a program, paint.net

It is shareware, free to use, donations optional.

I have photoshop and others, this works very logically and it will resize images very well.

Make sure to keep the original file as full resolution for future uses.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:20 am:

Stan, I sent you a PM with my email address, email a couple of your photos to me and I will see if I can work with them. Are they .jpg files, or some other file format?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 11:34 am:

Thanks for the suggestions, paint.net won't work with vista, which is what I am still running. The download says I have to install windows 7.1 or higher for it to work. Not worth that to me, I just don't have time to be the computer guru I probably should be and need to be in the shop worse than I need to be hammering away on some photos trying to get them to resize and save. Thanks

Mark, everything is JPG, I can resize them, crop them, do everything else I do with the ones from my other cameras but they won't save in paint. It is probably due to the difference in the photo programs between the old windows photo program and whatever is newer here. My computer is old, my camera I use most of the time is old, they work fine together and at various times I have been able to resize from the new camera and save them as png files. I have done that with some of these and that works but then whatever program in running on the MTFCA photo won't load them as an attachment. It reverts to the original format and size. I dunno. I am also old. This spring I will have been out of high school 57 years and college 46. I don't think I ever heard the work computer in high school and not more than a few times in college.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

Stan, I found a tedious way to fix the problem via a Google search, I sent you an email reply spelling out the process. I also resized the two photos you sent me, here they are:

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

I emailed this to Mark, he got it to resize and sent it back to me.

This is Kim Dobbins on the left, me on the right.

Thanks, Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

Didn't see that before I posted this. The guy in the first photo is Gene Carrothers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

The tedious method that I found for Stan involves converting a copy of the original .jpg file into a 24 bit .bmp file using Paint.

Somehow, this strips the bad juju out of the file and reduces it to bare pixels.

You can then re-save the .bmp file as a .jpg file (again using Paint) and it will then behave. You will be able to resize it and otherwise manipulate it like a normal .jpg file.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

Thank's for the pictures and Stan i like your hat!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't get over the difference in .357 loads when they come out of a rifle instead of a hand cannon!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

Nice Sandals Kim!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 04:58 pm:

Hey Bud, on my list of "Buy myself something for Christmas" was a Henry in .357 or 30-30. 30-30 just because I always wanted a 30-30 and have never had one. Every body I've talked to says to buy the .357 instead. I spent the money on other things so the question is pretty academic at this point but you never know.

As you may recall, I bought 4 Henry's a couple years ago all on one day. I bought Savanna a .22 Golden Boy, Spencer a .17 Heritage with the long barrel, a .17 Golden Boy so he could pick which one he wanted if he wanted the Golden Boy instead of the Heritage and a .22 Classic Carbine to go up in the back window of the Willys pickup for snakes, gophers and tin cans. She is the best shot of all of us, she's a deadeye when it comes to cans and gophers -- for Christmas this year I got her a couple hundred rounds of the high power .22 ammo that I can't remember the name of. She is anxiously awaiting spring when the ground squirrels/gophers come out, her CJ2A is pretty well done and good to go for hunting. We only went a couple times last summer on the 4 wheelers but the Willys is more fun.

Sent this thread has already drifted like the snow is drifting today, the hats and shirts were a gift from Anthony Iperato, the owner of Henry for buying 4 Henrys in one day and getting kids involved in shooting sports. Here we are, ready to head for the target range New Years day, 2015.

As long as we are doing thread drift.....this is her 48 CJ2A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

I should have said I got him the .17 with the hexagon barrel, not the long barrel Heritage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

Stan,What i like about Henry most is it's built in America or not at all and the fact you can e-mail Anthony and he will get back to you!!! My wife of almost 50 years bought me the engraved select golden .357 for Christmas this year! Happy as a pig in poop Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

Does she have a sister????

YUP!! Made in America or not made at all. They invested several million dollars in a new plant in Wisconsin that is turning out American made guns and paying wages to American workers, taxes to American governments and supporting America. Anthony actually emailed me a couple times after I bought the guns and he sent a whole box of mugs and hats and shirts, etc. Once he called a friend of mine to see how he liked his new gun. I have one of their stickers in the back window of just about every vehicle I own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

Stan,Glad to see your crew!! Nice picture!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

For Bud!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

I like a girl that likes pink caps, prom dresses paired with the "perfect" heels, plays fiddle and guitar and anything else and likes her CJ2A, her Henry Golden Boy .22 and me. They are great kids, lots of fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

Hey Stan!! You are a man after my own heart. A "Leever gun" devotee, you support youngsters in shooting sports, you are a patriot and a "Model T"er. I know it's tough being so well rounded(as I am physically as well as figuratively)but you and I seem up to the task. Best of luck in 2017!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

Thanks, John. Always wanted one of those western carbines, finally got a couple. I'll have one of their new .410's before the year is over. I love .410 shotguns, have a few including a new over and under I bought 4 or 5 years ago.

As far as well rounded...............after a week in California being wined and dined by the finest at some great restaurants and some fine meals with Gene and Jackie and my sister in law and brother as well as the Christmas cookies and candy, I am even more well rounded than usual.

I do not intend to die either tired or hungry so I make sure I have lunch before I take a nap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

Stan,It's good to see you in that T-shirt as i have often wondered if they had a normal size!! Good on ya.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

Stan & Bud - Awhile back one day, I was up on the island taking care of a few chores (Lopez Island in the San Juans) at "the place" up there, and when I got home, my good wife of 52 years (gotcha' beat there Bud) and when I walked in the house, she said,...."Look what I found"! She then showed me on the internet, all the details of the Henry "Railroad Tribute Edition" and said,....."you need one of those, being as how you were a railroad special agent for 34 years!" So, I now, I'm delighted to say that have one! But get this,....she now says that since I'm a retired RR cop, and since they've now also come out with the Henry "Law Enforcement Tribute Edition", that I should have one of those too! (Would two constitute a collection???) And, one of the single guys in the Carbon Canyon Model T Club here has asked me just exactly the same thing that you asked Bud about his wife,.........."Does she have a sister?" (:^) (:^)

So whadaya' think Stan,.....if I buy another one, d'ya' think Anthony would send me a hat or a coffee mug"? Or do ya' haft' buy four? (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

Harold,Anthony is a great guy to talk with! I told him my grandson wanted me to get one of the new Winchester 73's but i did not like the made in Japan part.I have talked to Anthony about the ease of loading and unloading the Henry compaired to the Winchester or Marlin. They sure make some nice looking guns. I have 3 now a 22 carbine,a .17 golden boy,and the fancy hand engraved .357 she bought me for Christmas! If spring ever comes i think i'll send a picture of my two favorite Henry's and one is a Ford.Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration