Steering column Questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Steering column Questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 07:34 pm:

I am working on my 27 T steering column and have found one of the holes for the small gears pin to worn ... is there any fix for this ?? a new steering column shaft is quite expensive ... also I would like to replace the steering gear cover ( or column cover.. the cover just under the steering wheel ) but all the parts books only show these for up to 1914 .. not any for 1927 ... Thanks for any help .. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Joe

The steering gear case cover has to be found at swaps or classifieds, and when re-plated nickel, the bushing of that cover is thickened up some, so it works better too with a new center pinion gear and shaft, (what the steering wheel spider mounts to). You should get the later case, with the full wide knurl around the cover.

As for the wallowed out hole, the best fix is to weld or braze up and re-drill to fit a new pinion post. That is if the rest of the steering post shaft is good.

The repro shafts aren't made like the original that have a forged top, the upper is a disc welded to the new shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 03:33 am:

My late buddy and I replaced the pins for the gears with some slightly oversized pins with some we made from drill rod. I don't recall the sizes, but it was just a few thousands. They worked great. They not only fit nicely in the holes, but also took up some wear in the gears. Win, win. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

You might update your profile so people know about were you are located. Maybe someone close by has an extra shaft with better pin holes. I would think that while welding the holes up might be one way to go, getting the new hole drilled to correct center to center might be problematic if you don't have the proper tools.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration