OT, New again.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT, New again.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

Hi, I took a hiatus from the forum for awhile. Though I wasn't adding to the conversations I've been reading the forum everyday.

The other day I read a thread that a good friend Rob Heyen posted. It was good to see him back on here. It had been awhile.

Rob, your posting really touched a place in my heart. As I've said in the past, I come from a family of veterans that goes back to WW1.

My Dad served in WW2 in the South Pacific. My brother served with the 2nd 26th Marines in Vietnam. Was wounded North of Quang Tri May 16th, 1967. I still remember my Mother greeting the Marine Corp officer at the door when he brought the news. I remember the feeling in the pit of my stomach that day. I also remember Mom telling Dad their boy was coming home. I remember sitting out under the low hanging limbs of a spruce tree and trying to get a handle on what had happened and what my future would be.

In 1970, my time came. I received my notice to report for induction on April 18, 1970. The same day I stood up for my brother as the groomsman at his wedding. I remember The Judge asking me if I wasn't just in there a week before. I told him I'd gotten my draft notice that morning and he smiled and told me it would be good for me to spend some time in the military and away from my hometown. :-) By October I was in Chu Lia Vietnam and January 1971 I was headed to the DMZ to the same area my brother had been when he was hit. By May 1971 I was back in Chu Lia and I went "back to the world" in October. I got an early out in December, 1971 just in time for Christmas.

I've always been very proud of my families military service and feel I can stand proud with the rest of them.

Rob, your tribute was very touching and I'd like to say thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

Semper Fi, Garrison. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:34 am:

Thank you for your service Mike and I'm glad to see you back on the forum again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:30 am:

Thank you for your service Mike, from a Navy veteran, retired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:37 am:

"and feel I can stand proud with the rest of them"

As well you should be.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration