Aftermarket Headlight Lens

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Aftermarket Headlight Lens
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:57 pm:

Is there any purpose to the way these aftermarket lens were made with the two half circles at the top? Was it somehow supposed to redirect the light better, or is it just another case of snake-oil? These were made by the Globe Specialty Co. of Chicago IL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

PURPLE PAINT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

Guess I'm getting tired, purpose, thought you were asking how to get purple lenses. sorry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:48 am:

Did Ford have a design patent on the "H" type lens to where other
suppliers could not directly copy it ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 05:23 am:

I'm fairly certain the Ford "H" lenses were originally Hudson Glass Company (not car company) designed lenses. Ford may have purchased the rights to the Hudson design, although Hudson lenses are out there, I have a pair on Barney (25 roadster--or P/U, haven't decided yet@).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 11:08 am:

David

Agree with your determination, Ford Service Bulletin says "...after much research and experiment have developed and brought out the "H" Headlight Lens..."

But IMO, that research was checking out the many glass lens companies making fluted lens to meet the expanding laws in the many states that required anti-glare for headlamps. So Ford decided on Hudson Co offering. Have found adv. for the Hudson lens that pre-dates the announcement in the Service Bulletin!

Hudson was a well established company with resources to fulfill all Ford needs on a lens too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

John, is there a brand on your after-market lenses ? I'd guess the arcs at top were to avoid patent infringement. I doubt they affect the way the beam is focussed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

So does the H really stand for Hudson?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

Rich, no specialty name, just the manufacturer. I think you are right about them having no special function, other than to just look different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

I think they are Sport Lenses, in keeping with this nuevo -blabber
that you can buy a Sport Sedan. Put those on your car and you
are now one "sporty" individual !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration