Old Photo - The Need For "Good Roads"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - The Need For "Good Roads"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:42 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:50 am:

In November the voters of my county passed a 0.5% sales tax to fund improvements to local streets and roads with similar conditions. Big promises were made. It'll be Interesting to track actual delivery. It makes me wonder what happened to all the money already collected. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:57 am:

Henry probably using the monies for sex changes for your prisoners. Which just happened?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:58 am:

Henry, Knowing Califunny the money was most likely handed out as social assistance to Illegals instead of fixing the roads. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Henery, some one had to hire a commitee to study the issue. Then they had to hire an engineer to come up with a plan to solve said issue. Then they had to hire a firm to over see the plan the enineer put together and do a cost analisis to see what the whole thing will cost. At this point they are out of money and have to raise taxes to cover money already spent.
Gotta love big government!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 11:21 am:

Dallas,

It's worse than that. There's a particular 1 mile long stretch of 2 lane road near where I live that is the continuance of a 6 lane expressway. It was formally identified as "the most important" road improvement need in the area 7 years ago. I talked with city staff and specifically asked if the project budget they gave me means that's what they expect it to cost with actual money to come later or if it represents cash on hand to build the project. The answer was, "It's cash on hand to construct the project."

So, I appeared before the City Council to ask what's the delay. A council member told me project construction is dependent on passage of the sales tax measure coming up on the ballot. I said city staff tells me the money for this project in on hand, so how is the project subject to the ballot measure? I received no answer.

Those dirty birds simply held badly needed funded projects back in order to manipulate the vote on their tax measure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 11:24 am:

That is a nice example of a winter front. These wonderful old photos don't tell us the temperature but it looks like they had some cold days preceding this one.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 11:49 am:

Sorry for the rant. Jay's title, "The Need For Good Roads" got me going.

It is a great period photo!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Henry it gets to us all . They have a plan to pave all gravel roads on my side of the county. I like the gravel road. My road is a shortcut from state highway to two of the lakes in my area. The gravel road prevents all the big money out of town lake owners from racing down the road with total disreguard for locals. They refuse to drive the big money rides on gravel. The gravel is dirty and chips the paint and rusts my daily drivers but every time it rains they grade it. The paved roads in our county are terrible. The freeze thaw process here and the steel wheels and carbide tiped horse shoes from the buggys take there toll. My road gets graded about twice a month in summer. Nice and smooth.
Im fine with it but the rest of the world thinks the old way needs to go.
A little rant of my own.
I dont know where Jay finds the photos but I enjoy them all along with Herb and other regular photo posters

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

If only to me it might be when the frost is going out and the crown less road looks lower than the surrounding land? I have lived on gravel for 39 years now and i hate it!! We have to travel out of state before we can drink a cup of coffee!! Bud,slightly north.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:49 pm:

Dallas, embrace the suck !

A lot of the guys I work with are younger and give me a unique
viewpoint into the wonderful world of suck.

First of all, newest is best. All other rules follow this one.

Disposable is the paradigm. Short life span before the new 2.4
version comes out, then throw it all away, "upgrade" and shell out
full retail again and again and again and again and again and again ....

By extension, old is bad. Hand made or high quality materials are
bad. Hands-on is bad. If a person has to paint the shed, this is bad.
Applying another coat of vinyl siding is the correct answer. Actually,
having someone else do it is the answer. The correct-living guy has
gaming to do and updates/apps to install on his phone.

Live the dream, embrace the suck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Hi. I few years ago we passed a law that lets Gov brown transfer the gas sales tax monies to the general fund. He now uses the road tax monies to buy votes by giving the welfare bums more free stuff.
So how much of this new tax will go to roads? Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

Burger, if I understand SUCK then my 118 year old house, my great grandmothers dinning table and chairs, my grandads tools ,my 66 year old tractor and 90 year old cars SUCK?
Im good with that!
Embrace the suck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

No, Dallas .... you're not listening ! Old is bad. Newest is best.
You are clearly displaying learning disabilities here. Wassamattayoo ? :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration