Ignition switch wiring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ignition switch wiring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menteer on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 11:27 am:

I am in the process of going from a distributor back to original coils on my 24 roadster. On the back of the ignition switch is a brass jumper that goes from the post marked batt to an unmarked post. The unmarked post is not the mag post. Is this jumper correct or only for a distributor? I have 2 diagrams and 1 shows the jumper and the other does not. thanks for any advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 11:30 am:

The jumper gives battery power the headlights.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 11:44 am:

Actually, it provides battery voltage to the center key switch. When the key switch is moved to BAT, the center post provides battery voltage for the coils. When key switch is moved to MAG, the center post provides magneto voltage to the coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

I've seen/worked on several T's with distributor ignitions having a jumper wire between "BAT" & "MAG" so one can merely turn the ignition key to either position thus not having to remember which way to turn the key !

Small problem with that situation - I re-charged a set of magnets for a V.N. era veteran buddy of mine - no charge, of course and after he installed all & got the power plant back together, he failed to check the wiring on the rear of the ignition switch which was apparently wired with a jumper to do the scenario mentioned above, as it did have a distributor and he wanted to run an original Ford system - well, first turn of the key to "MAG" engine died - guess what ? Dead magnets !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menteer on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

This jumper is not going to the mag terminal. It goes from batt to an unmarked terminal. thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

Just passing on information, David.

The terminal with no identification SHOULD be connected to the "BAT" terminal with a small buss bar which would be where Stephen drew the short black lines on - apparently yours is MIA. All positions on the rear of T ignition switches are marked.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration