Best place to find a T??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Best place to find a T??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

Curious as to opinions on the best place to find a T? I am sure there are plenty of sources, but I'm curious if folks typically go with an eBay search, or through the Model T forums, or car shows? Where have you had the best luck?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

The Obituaries:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

Watch mtfca classifieds ,someone usually posts any Ts forsale or links.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:22 pm:

Rick,

You are in New York ?

Hope the winter has not been too bad so far ....

Here in the classifieds you can find a T.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:28 pm:

Ebay, Craigs list, here, Fordbarn, local ads, local club newsletter, HCCA etc
Spend some time learning about T's and educate yourself on current "SELLING" prices not listing prices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

I found mine by contacting the local club and asking for leads. They sent me a copy of their latest newsletter and I bought one of the cars in the newsletter's classified section.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

My garage or Don Lang's showroom is the best way to find a good running and driving car for a fair price, that is in driving distance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

I find they usually hide between "S" and "U".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

In my opinion, more antique cars change owners via word of mouth than are sold via classifieds and eBay, etc.

Like Mark Strange says, get in contact with other Model T owners in your area and ask for leads for cars that are either for sale or potentially for sale (there are a lot of sleepers out there).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

The Vintage Ford and The Model T Times are also good places to look.What is it you want? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

I think I'd like to start with a '23-24 runabout. I like the coupes as well but I think a runabout is a bit higher on the wish list. Not in a big rush for anything immediately. I'm in the process of buying a house so funds will be tight at least for a little while but the new house will have storage space so I can FINALLY start looking for a T. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

Rick, I was told once to look right next to where there isn't one!!!

Don't know if this helps. I suspect not.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

The best way to get a good buy is word of mouth. An older guy who has no further use for the car. Bought 2 this way. One was actually word of mouth from a " looking for a T" ad I placed in the classifieds. A guy answered and told me about a friend that had one. Another was on Craig's list. Also an old timer who wanted to sell. Got great buys on both. Have to tell you that you probably won't get a real good buy price wise from a T guy that uses and repairs the car. Too much invested. Real or imagined. My first was the best of all. An estate sale. 27' Tudor completely done top to bottom. I literally stole that car and sold it on for a hefty profit. Like I said; no Good buys from a T guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

Charlie is right word of mouth but if that Doesn't work go on line. Capitalist, eBay, Hemmings and local papers. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

The first one I bought was parked on the street with a for sale sign on it. It turned out to need a lot of work, but I thought they were very rare and I wouldn't see another one.

Well! Since that I have found that it would have been better to have joined the club first and got to know the members. Many times they have cars for sale or tips on cars for sale. They can also help you find a good one. We have many older members who don't drive anymore and their children are not interested in inheriting the cars or they pass away and leave the cars and the heirs sell them. So there are many for sale but not found in the usual places. Also it is not good to buy a car unseen or at a long distance from home unless you can verify it's condition.

However, another car I bought was all disassembled (basket case). Almost all the parts were there, just needed some TLC. This type make a good project and give a sense of accomplishment when you get through. Some people look for an unrestored nearly original car. Those are getting harder to find. The draw a lot of attention on tours or shows because of the way they look and how they still run.

Anyway, First decide which era you want. Three general categories Brass, Black era, Improved. Then the body style you want, next the condition you want, and how much you are willing and able to spend.

Even if you get one which looks good, you will find things which need work. After you iron out the mechanical parts, and get the safety issues repaired, they really are quite dependable when driven as T's were meant to be driven

I have found out that on tours, it is more often than not that modifications cause more breakdowns then stock systems. The original ignition system was made to run on magneto, but will also run on battery, and the coils can easily be exchanged if one stops working. I like to carry a spare timer, one or two spare coils and a few spare spark plugs. Usually with those parts I can keep the car going. The gravity flow fuel system is easy to keep working. Most problems are caused by running uphill with too low fuel in the tank. Sometimes the carburetor gets plugged or leaks, but that can happen with any carburetor. The drive train works well and lasts a long time with a stock engine, but when the power is greatly increased, the rear axle tends to be a weak point.

I like auxiliary brakes and a Ruckstell axle. Both are period correct accessories and living in the mountains and also driving in traffic, are very good equipment to have. You can add a couple thousand dollars to the price for those upgrades, but usually will cost less if you buy a car which already has them than to add them to an existing car. The windows should all have safety glass in them. So check all the windows. They didn't come from the factory with safety glass.

Anyway I almost wrote a book. Keep looking, you will find something you are looking for.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

Early life for me for one of 'em. Center door project. Waited for the auction. Poor thing. I got it.
The junk-man's truck for my Crappy T. Traded a crap U Moline for it. He was very happy. So was I. Woohoo!
This forum (happened to look in the classifieds one day) for a few more. Woohoo!
I missed out on a crappy model N one year ago because I am too dumb to look at other sources. DumbaZZ.
Mark and everyone has good ideas above. Watch them all. Truly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

How much do you want to spend? If your just starting out I recommend finding a 'decent running' T and go from there. You will have to work on it of course but that's the fun of it.
If you go this route be prepared to find one between 3-5000.00 and up.
It will take a good while to build up a basket case whereas a running but not restored car will give you a better start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

I'd be looking for a running vehicle. I don't mind working on some small things here and there but I want something I can bring home and drive it. I don't want to buy something and get lost in a big build project. I've done this before in my earlier life and it wasn't very much fun. I learned a lot, which I'm thankful for but the biggest lesson was that I'd never do that again. I'll pay a bit more to be able to drive it once I get it home rather than work on it for years before being able to enjoy the ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

Lots of good advice above, and I agree that starting with something you can drive right away is the best approach for the first one. There may be something helpful here:
http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG98.html
http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG99.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 09:53 am:

A deceased doctor's barn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

Go west young man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

Rick I think looking in NY will prove to be a bit more expensive than looking west or south. I am originally from NY and still summer there and the price of a Model T up there is considerably more than in other parts of the country. I now live in Florida and have purchased 2 T's at good prices down here. A lot of them have been sitting in garages and sheds for years after their owners got too old to drive them. One had been sitting for over 10 years after the owner died before the widow decided to sell and the other was sitting longer than than.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

Rick, you can do a lot more searching for what you want by checking out as many online Model T clubs as you can find and reading thru the For-Sale listings in their online newsletters. Even if a few months have passed it doesn't hurt to still phone and ask about a vehicle for sale. This is how I found my racer. Good luck!

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Local T clubs. It took the Central Massachusetts T club one day to find me my '27 Touring car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Six years ago, I put an ad in the classifieds section of the MTFCA website that said I was interested in buying either a '14 or '15 Touring. _Within two days received a call from the gentleman who would sell me my car. _True, a couple of con artists also got in touch with me, but it was easy to weed them out by their lack of knowledge. _Anyway, the classifieds are free, so you might as well use em.'

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration