Starter shop in Delaware

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Starter shop in Delaware
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hermstedt on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

The rebuilt starter for my 24 TT is not working. I am trying to keep further repair costs down by trying to find a shop or a Model T enthusiast in Delaware or the Eastern Shore of Maryland to get it going for me. The starter does not spin when 6 VDC is applied. All i see is couple of sparks from the terminal.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

William
I do not know of a starter repair shop in DE.
From your description sounds like you have the most common Model T starter failure mode and that is the buss bar to the terminal bolt connection has failed.
This can be repaired with one of these. And the repair shown.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 10:36 am:

I repaired one of the problems that RP shows. After a good cleaning and de-oiling of the connection, I re-soldered it with "modern" lead free plumbers solder. Worked good after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 11:06 am:

William,

Who rebuilt it?

As for saving costs, it's cheaper to send it away, even if outside of DE, to someone who knows how to work on T starters, than to send it to a "starter rebuilder" who works on Mitsubishi units all day long. Since you say it's rebuilt and still doesn't work, you're looking at paying twice just to get one starter going, IF the second cheap source actually does so.

If you'll notice the obvious quality of Ron's work, above, you might perhaps consider sending it to him.

If you want to plunge into it yourself, post photos and ask questions here. We'll try to help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 11:46 am:

I can supply the parts and instructions. All you need is a 250 Watt soldering iron and soldering skills.
I do not "repair" Model T starters or generators.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hermstedt on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

Thanks for the info guys. I was PM'd a local Model T repair guy. I did the rebuild myself and followed instructions in the repair manual. I purchased a rebuild kit from a known vendor. I called the local guy and am going to meet with him this week.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration