Keeping mice out of your car?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Keeping mice out of your car?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:27 pm:

I'm curious, especially for the runabout/roadster/touring folks, how do you keep the mice out of your car during storage? I would think it would be a constant battle trying to prevent mice from getting into the seats during winter months especially.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

A semi-large constrictor snake works well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Peterson on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

Put your car on 4 jack stands, put stickem trap upside down on top of each jack. If you have no pets put each jack stand in a pan with anti-freeze. It does work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

I drape dryer sheets all over the interior and any place that might look like a comfortable nesting area. I also stopped covering the car as the critters seem to like being under the cover. I'd rather deal with the dust than mouse turds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

I have always relied on this tutorial:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

I've never had a mice problem in the city. I have a detached garage.

In my case, mice are only a problem if there is a food supply nearby. No food, no reason for them to nest in the garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Cut a "two foot by two foot" piece of 3/4 inch plywood and center it on top of a cement block that is laying on it's side. Then, jack up your car and slide the cement block with the piece of wood under the wheel so that the weight of the wheel is on the cement block. If I mouse climbs up the cement block they won't be able to hang upside down long enough to get up and around the 2x2 piece of plywood. You could also put something slippery on the underside of the 2x2 plywood like some scrap metal roofing that would make it impossible for them to get up in the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

If you google "'mice MTFCA" there are MANY threads full of ideas. This topic comes up at least once year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Mice around here can jump out of a 5 gallon bucket. They dont need a food source to move into a detatched garage. They are everywhere. Cant keep them out. They carry poison off to feed on over winter. Had 21 cats on the farm at one time and the cats are all gone but the mice are still here. Mothballs and electronic devices dont work. Any sure ways to keep mice out please let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

I put significant quantities of poison bait out and maintain it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

I can never remember what it is but a buddy at work uses a little canvas bag of something that's available from the fleet store. He hangs it on the shifter on the column and it doesn't smell like perfume chemicals. He likes it and I wanna try it.
A bucket of anti-freeze is very good in the shop, kind of like what Bob said but that's for a "no pets" situation. Those poor dumb mice figure it's something to drink, hop in and can't get back out. Then THEY don't smell.
Aha! Just got the text. "Fresh Cab, botanical, rodent repellant" Red topped, yellow box with blue on the right. He claims it works om his Uncle Jesse '78 ford plow truck.
Erik is kind of correct too about food sources BUT at my job in a past lifetime, we had a Ranger pickup with a funky box for the airlines industry sitting outdoors on the fence-line one winter. After the mice got tired of eating wiring insulation and sound insulation the one ate his buddies brain out. No more mice after that. True.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

Dryer sheets like Bounce have always worked well for me. I put them in the cars and camper. It has always work well. The one year I failed to put them in the camper we got a few mice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

My preference is the poison bait that comes in solid blocks so they can't carry it away. Makes it easier to see how the mouse population is doing. Fortunately when winter hits hard, the mice go into hibernation here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

Best mousetrap ever!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF6xwUSkT1k

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

Coupla good sized Tom cats in the garage and don't feed 'em! Maybe keep one outdoors too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

Moth balls. Excellent. Put a few in a number of small resealable plastic bags. Place them in strategic spots. No mice. Period. Plus you can remove and seal the bags & use them over & over again. No mess no lingering odor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

Dead mice can't breed. Mice inside a building means you have already lost the boarders. Exterior locked bait stations next to the building and maintained all year long means you will never have this problem.

I have been an exterminator for over 23 years, the last 20 + at a University and also in private business. I encourage all the home brew approaches because after thousands of dollars of damage I get called to come "fix" it. Keep trying to repel them and not kill them off then call me.

Snap traps, glue boards, bucket traps are all good as they kill breeding populations. Dryer sheets, soap bars, scraps of wood...those are also great because you have live mice and generations more and that makes me money.

Mice that smell good like soap or dryer sheets smell like money to me but to you they will smell like smoke when your house or shop burns down because you didn't kill them off. Once it smelled like water when mice ate the water supply line to an ice maker and the ceiling fell into the basement...maybe a bar of soap would have helped? No mice would have been the solution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

Tim,

The ExTerminaTor

Nothing beats professional advice ... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

We have an old cabin and have tried it all,...snap traps, bucket traps, moth balls, ammonia, peppermint, dryer sheets,...all of that is CRAP. I even ordered these spice packets called Cab Fresh that truckers use...came highly recommended...they chewed through them! SO?..the ONLY way to stop them is preventing them from coming in in the first place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

My car takes care of itself. One time I saw a mouse running in circles in front of my car and then it died. I figured it drank some antifreeze that my car puked up right after a drive. Only one mouse ever got into my house and it didn't get out alive. I have a good cat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

Pretty impossible to keep mice out of a barn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 09:01 am:

Same way we keep grizzley bears out of my camps. Cayan pepper all the way around the car. Dallas is correct. Mice can jump out of a 5 gallon bucket. I used to catch mice and rats on the charter boat dock I was on for other captains. If they poisend them they would die in the boat and stink. I'd hang treble hooks baited the hooks and hang them about a foot off the floor for mice. Next day it was a freak show. Sometimes I'd have every hook I'd place full. A bucket trap works great also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 09:16 am:

We have tried Irish Spring soap, dryer sheets (in one car they made a nest in the dryer sheet), and moth balls. I use this trap and it works.

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Humane-Live-Mouse-M310S/dp/B00004RAMU/ref=sr_1_27? s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1483971156&sr=1-27&keywords=mouse+traps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Moth balls under the seats, traps of every kind, poison, cats, snakes, weasels, mink, hawks, owls!! It is a never ending battle!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 10:41 am:

One thing I learned the hard way is to disconnect and/or remove the battery. I had stored my Harley in the same garage as cattle feed one winter and the mice went to work. They chewed enough insulation off the battery cable to slightly energize the frame, but not enough to blow the main fuse. The entire frame and engine corroded, brake calipers seized and the powder coat was coming off in sheets. Not to mention they chewed every wire they could get to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 11:36 am:

I had a co-worker years ago who had been a B-47 bomber navigator. They had one particular airplane with a mouse infestation. The flight crews would see a mouse scamper across the floor from time to time in flight, but the ground crews never could catch them.

One day a mouse was spotted. It was duly reported over the intercom. The pilot had had enough of that nonsense. He warned the crew to go on 100% oxygen for a while so he could dump the cabin pressure. After 10 or 15 minutes they repressurized and the flight continued without incident.

Problem solved ? Well, not entirely. Within a couple of days the cabin smelled to high heaven. Nobody wanted to fly that particular plane for quite some time afterward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

Hey Dan,

That link you posted with the trap on it, is that little tiny spa at the bottom of the ad inside the trap to attract the mice? and if so do you have to provide them with music and wine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

Good old type mouse trap(s) with peanut butter bait or a cat! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

agree with Val, car covers are bad. most of my farmer neighbors here will leave all the covers and hoods of combines open while in storage as mice dont like it too drafty in their home. i was once looking at cars in the murdo sd museum and noticed moth ball boxes on the floor that were all chewed up by mice! i have a cat that is a mass murderer. soon as you let him out, he goes straight to the barn to hunt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

5 gal bucket, coat hanger, coke can, peanut butter, yard stick( or other small board for a ramp) and 2.5 gals H2o. Use coat hanger as a wire across bucket, with the coke can on it so it (can) will turn freely. Put PB on can, place yard stick as a ramp up to coat hanger. Pour H2o into 5 gal bucket. Come on it boys the water is fine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

I hate mice but the idea of stick'm traps bother me. No need for them to suffer. I find that slices of plain old Irish Spring soap does a pretty good job. This year I invested in a Car Capsule which supposedly is guaranteed against mice. We'll see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

I used moth balls for 6 months in my wife's Mini Cooper when it was stored and regret it. I've been waiting a year for that smell to come out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 06:21 pm:

Burger.... Wattya say we should enlist a guard with a .410 or maybe even a .22???? (Although the peenee butta bait did work well!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Dan,

I've used the bucket of water and baits to rid my property of various varmints for years! Works well! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

I have used D-con triangular poison for years. It worked beautifully. Apperently for some reason D-con has "improved" their product, and the new stuff didn't work as well for me. I hate using poison, but I hate the damage that the little bas--rds do even more. For some reason, my John Deere garden tractor seemed to be their favorite target.
They pretty much left the T alone. Perhaps because it is an open car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Dennis, The spa on the bottom is an accessory at an extra cost. So.. I didn't spring for it. Mainly because I didn't want the expense of music and wine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

Don't forget to seal up the end of your muffler. Last year i forgot and was shooting out acorn parts and pieces for days. :-) Now i just wrap the end with some heavy-duty aluminum foil, seems to do the trick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 08:34 am:

Perhaps looking for the newest item the EPA has banned then trying to find some of it . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 09:19 am:

The bucket and peanut butter coated soda can method works great but I use anti freeze instead of water in the bucket. Initially I did it to keep the water from freezing in the unheated space of our summer cabin in the Adirondacks but I soon found out that it also keeps the dead mice from stinking up the place after they sit in the bucket until spring when I open up the place for the season. Low tech but very effective. I use it along with dryer sheets to keep the mice out of my cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Kerndt-Waukon, Iowa on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 09:29 am:

I have used the pail, soda can, coat hanger wire and peanut butter for years, except use cheap RV anti-freeze instead of water and the traps will work all winter and won't smell! I am a Winter Texan and found 29 dead mice in a trap in my pole building when I got back in the spring one year. They like the smell of peanut butter and will go to the trap rather then bother a car. I do however put small wire "scrub pads" in any radiator or engine block openings!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

Bring in snakes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

Snakes.... why did it have to be snakes?

pic

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration