Wide break drum on early oilpan and hogshead

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wide break drum on early oilpan and hogshead
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Larsen on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

Rebuilt 23 engine and transmission using a wide break drum because it was in excellence condition vs the narrow one. Installed it with a 3 dip pan and 1923 hogshead.I knew it would be tight and not be able to use the wide brake band. I did a mock set up with bands and hogshead with no gaskets.Even installed safety wire. It spins ok without touching but the 6 bolts on the drum are very close to touching. Has anyone milled the wide brake drum down so you could use the shorter bolts that were used on the narrow drum. Any suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

I have seen it many of times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Yes you can cut the drum down in a lathe. I done it many times, wished I hadn't as finding good 26/27 brake drums is hard in my neck of the woods. But we do what we have to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Charlie, I see you are in Minnesota. I have many good used narrow brake drums. Why not just get a good one and save the 26-27 one for the correct use? If not, why not pot a 4 dip on it?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration