Anyone in the Ithaca/Binghamton NY area?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Anyone in the Ithaca/Binghamton NY area?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

I'm looking at the NY chapters and they are all way up around Rochester or the same distance away the opposite direction. I'm not seeing any T clubs more south around Ithaca (preferably) or Binghamton. Are there any members on the forum here from this area? Curious if anyone had thought about starting another club for this area?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

Rick, I am in Binghamton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Hello Rick, I am in Corning. There is an inactive club in the Elmira area. With enough interest I think we may be able to revive it. I would be willing to help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

I would be willing to contribute to a revival...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

I'd be interested in contributing. It seems there could certainly be a club catering to the Ithaca/Elmira/Binghamton triangle since all of the other clubs in upstate NY are north of Rt. 90 and quite a ways East and West. I'd also love to meet up with both of you guys (Ernie and Tim) to see your cars if you'd be up for a visit at some point down the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

I am in Rochester, NY. Elmira is pretty far from here. You are welcome here any time and I could give you a behind scenes tour of the George Eastman Museum if you are interested in photographs or cameras.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

How about Finger Lakes Flivvers. Or is that club name taken already? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

I think that was on the list I sent you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

It was these two:

Flivver Drivers, Inc.

The Fabulous Flivvers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

You guys are killing me.

My first job after college was at Corning's process research center in Painted Stick, I met my wife at a gas station in Corning, we were active in SCCA at Watkins Glen, our two kids were born in Corning, later my office was on the 6th floor of the building overlooking the Glass Center, and I now visit SUNY Binghamton a few times a year for conferences on electronic assembly.

Although I am from New England the Southern Tier is in my blood and when I read about it I get nostalgic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

Interesting Fred, I worked at Corning for 30 years. It is a fine company. Back to the subject, the inactive Model T club is actually a MTFCI chapter (Twin Tiers). Still I think it could be revived if we had as little as 6 or 7 interested people. If you are willing to stretch your interest a bit, the Twin Tiers Vintage Car Club is a pretty active club, covering all vintage cars from high wheelers to muscle cars. It has a few T people, including me. The events calendar the club publishes is alone worth the membership dues. They meet monthly in Big Flats, NY.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 08:43 am:

The Southern Tier needs a prewar club to help keep the interest alive. Everything around the Binghamton area is geared towards tuners and muscle cars. There is a lot of prewar cars in storage because the folks who inherited these cars have no knowledge or believe that these cars are not useable because there is nowhere to plug in a smart phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:39 am:

I'm in Big Flats. The T club address in the magazine is mine. I would love to see a more active group of early cars in the area.
There is a local Model A club that grew out of the previous one that has been quite successful and active. I'd LOVE to see some similar group for T's.
It looks to me there are few folks within 50 miles of Big Flats, Please come out of the closet and prove me wrong.
I'd love to see a local day tour a year even. Have several that we did 20 years ago I could dust off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:42 am:

So is it easier to rekindle an inactive Chapter, or start up a new club? What are the pros vs cons of a MTFCA Chapter vs a MTFCI Chapter??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:01 am:

The T clubs locally are chapters in name only. TTVCC holds charters to both T clubs. It would be a matter of starting over in any case.
Rather that a formal group I'd rather see an email list, (Facebook Group?) where something could be posted like "the T bunch is touring from miniers parking lot Sunday at 9, If you're interested be there!"
Ernie?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:09 am:

Thanks for responding Jim, I did not want to toss your name out until we talked. I agree with Jim on all points, and the Model A group is doing great.

Okay, I will step up. If you are interested in a group in the "sorta southern NY" and "sorta northern PA" central areas send me your contact information and I will try to get us organized to talk about it. I would say a least 4 people would be a quorum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:11 am:

I'm with you Jim. Facebook would be a great place start. We have enough time before Spring to get something going.

There is some great T roads in the Binghamton area. Even some covered bridges East of me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:11 am:

Rick: I'm in Dryden, 13053. When/if I get my T on the road I may have more to contribute to a 'club' if one is formed. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:18 am:

I guess we were typing at the same time Jim, your idea could work really well. It would also be a good way to gage the interest level. Most importantly, we have much of the administrative framework in place and a communication mechanism in place via the TTVCC mailing list (which I newly manage).
I would be happy to set up a facebook group for it as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:50 am:

How 'local' are these groups typically? Are folks trailering their T's to group rides? If a club is formed in Elmira/Horseheads it seems like quite a distance for folks from the Binghamton/Ithaca area to drive their T's to meet up, unless folks are always hauling to a meeting site. I don't even own a car so I'm just curious how these groups typically work out? I appreciate the patience with the 'newbie'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:05 am:

I would be willing to haul to the Horseheads or Ithaca area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:15 am:

Tim
What is that you are using to haul your trailer? Unfortunately I don't thing my Honda CR-V can haul a T. That may be another consideration I'll have to make for a future purchase...something with a towing capacity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:26 am:

1/2 ton Chevy with a twin axle car trailer. You can get these trailers cheap but I think a landscape trailer would do just fine for a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:30 am:

Tim
Is it P.C. to be towing your Ford with a Chevy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

Have a Ram pickup now...

Hope to have this roadster ready for this Spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

When was that photo taken? If that was just taken and you plan to have it ready for Spring then I must bow down to you for you must be an artist...or magician:-). I hope to see both your T's at some point down the road.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration