3 dip vs 4 dip

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 3 dip vs 4 dip
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Frenette on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 12:17 am:

I am interested to know if the oil pan for a 3 dip and a 4 dip is the same in size and construction? Or are they different by year?
Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 12:33 am:

They are interchangeable, if that's what you mean.
The three-dip is stronger at the number four dip area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 12:33 am:

They are interchangeable, if that's what you mean.
The three-dip is stronger at the number four dip area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 10:04 am:

A 4 dip will bring more money than a 3 dip will. Go to T swap meets and you will see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 11:54 am:

4 dips are always more then 3 dips but 3 dips fill me up just fine besides the 4th dip melts before you can eat it all. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

especially when the DIPS are that BIG !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

Actually, if you put a 3 dip pan under an engine with a 26/27 transmission you may have trouble. A 4 dip pan has a bulge made into it to accommodate the wider brake drum. I don't believe a 3 dip pan will allow for the added size of the 26/27 brake drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

My '26 had a three dip pan installed but, when I tried to change the bands through the top plate, I had a bear of a time getting it to seat right. I suspect there is something to what Jerry said above. When I rebuilt my engine last year I installed a four dip pan and all the appropriate bracing / supports which had been missing previously.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Frenette on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

Thanks for the advice and the ice cream treat.
Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

Getting to the forth rod bearing is challenging with the three dip pan ... but not so hard with the correct wrench. They are on eBay all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:59 pm:

It is also asking for trouble the put a four dip pan on a pre-26 engine. Ford found this out after about a year.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration