What do I need to complete my battery carrier?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What do I need to complete my battery carrier?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 10:07 am:

Got a FrankenT that is part 15 and part 26/27 that I am creating a WWI machine gun carrier into. Front end is all 15 metal and I was told a 15 frame. It has the battery carrier in the rear and I'm putting a wooden buckboard body with an access door in the bed to get to it.

All I have are the frame to frame brackets and the metal riveted holding strap to keep the battery in place. No wooden or metal box, no hold down clamps or strap, no lid, etc.

Being even remotely period correct, what would I need to complete my battery hold down?

This photo is not of mine, but it is exactly what I have mounted in mine. Positive cable to the starter switch foot board style and ground strap to frame.

Any photos or links to vender part numbers will be greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 10:38 am:

Robert,

I don't use anything more than what you have pictured. Except maybe for adding a piece of wood at the bottom, with a wide groove on the bottom side for the support strap to fit into, so the board won't slide out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 10:43 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 11:02 am:

This all depends on your frame. If it is a later frame, the holes for the carrier should already be drilled. If not, be very careful when drilling. If you notice an original frame, the lone bracket is offset to go around the muffler. If you wish to 100% correct, then you will need a battery box to go in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

I'm already bolted into the frame as that is how it came. I removed it for painting and installed it back with the correct castle nuts and bolts. It has the holes for some sort of hold down or clamps, so the first item shown above from Langs is probably what I need to keep the battery from sliding around and popping out and, if needed, a spacer board on the bottom as well.

I thought I had seem some all wood or thing sheet metal box to enclose the battery, but I would be concerned with drainage or debris collection with that setup in my wooden bed configuration.

I'll review the clamps and spacer board and probably not totally enclose the battery as I'm reading that it is not correct or necessary.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

Robert, the correct way is a battery box (sheet metal), and a lid as well as the clamps posted above, which all goes onto the frame you have.

If you choose to omit the battery box, the spacer board and clamps are sufficient for a modern battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Robert,

Here is the box people are referring to;

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration