Stromberg LF vs OF

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Stromberg LF vs OF
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

What's the difference between the two, do parts interchange?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Quite a bit in difference. No parts directly interchange to my knowledge.

I'll post a photo of each in a few.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

LF Stromberg

OF Stromberg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

What are the advantages/disadvantages of both ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 08:22 pm:

The OF is better and an improvement over the earlier LF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

Thanks, Royce. But please explain for us neophytes what makes one
mo-betta than the other, and how might either compare to other common
T-era carbs like the L-4 and NH ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Check out Stan's site, link below. Good info on Stromberg carbs, especially on the OF.

http://www.strombergof.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

The OF was the first carb built for mass production for Model T's that had a compensating main jet. The simple explanation is that it supplies the necessary amount of fuel for the engine at all times without external adjustment. No operator adjustment is necessary during normal driving conditions.

The OF was the first to use Stromberg's new "Economizer;" a device to add air to the main mix to lean it for better burning and better economy at low power requirement.

The OF has a distinct second circuit for idle fuel supply which is adjustable.

The LF has none of those features.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Cut yerself another slice of raisin pie, Brother Stan. Just the answer I
was looking for !

Got any snow over there in Helena ? None here either ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

Yes. I have about a foot in my yard, far more at the ranch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

The LF is fun to rebuild and simple and it runs notable better than the NH ford carb. The OF was much improved as stan detailed above. If you get an LF in good condition and you like to tinker, Try it out. Works well and cheaper than an OF. But the OF is superior.....

Here is a link to the LF rebuild I did a while back.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/albums/72157643727211255

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 06:20 pm:

That's very true, Erich. The LF was a huge improvement over the carbs of the day, notably the L-2 which was the Ford carb about the time the LF came out. They sold hundreds of thousands of LF's. People didn't spend $15 lightly in those days so they were a big improvement or they would never have sold so many. They are a good carb, just not the OF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

The LF has a pot metal venturi. My LF was in very poor shape when I started, most of the steel screws had the heads rotted off and the venturi was bad. I machined a new venturi from Aluminum. I have yet to run My LF mainly because I have a great running OF I rebuilt.

https://youtu.be/B1O1ZbVmyHY?t=1m33s

The video I made while I made the venturi.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration