Re the 1914/15 engine I am working on

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Re the 1914/15 engine I am working on
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 09, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/710895.html?1483719309

Well time for a little update! Pulled the pan off. The rods have dippers and shims but are the heavy type.
The mag rings looks even worse on the bottom side.
Now for the fun bit. It has a new babbitt job on the mains but :-) they were setup with no shims and all 3 caps were pored with thrust faces (for a total of 6 on the 3 caps). The center and front look to have been cut down and hole drilled in center for locking the babbitt. :-(
The clutch drum is just a slip fit on the main shaft, the lock bolt was loose and key fell out on its own. Where the shaft fits into the drive plate, worn and ruff.
The triple gear pins look to have been bead blasted.
I have only pulled the rear cap off, but it has lots of end play. After I get the rest of mains and rod caps off I can mike things for out of round.
I can live with no shims on the mains as long as the cranks round ditto on the rods, they are going to stay. Depending on what direction the owner wants to go (we are getting it ready and going to sell for him) I am going to put the newer flywheel and mag coil ring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:54 am:

What you have there Mark is correct, they are early Dodge Bros caps, the hole is the way they are poured and all caps had front and back faces, the front and centre ones should be only be cut to the same length as the block and the 3rd set up as thrust on the crank same as the later Ford ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:58 am:

Wow and thank you Frank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John From Oregon on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 02:16 am:

My father and I are building a period correct early '15 speedster and am in need of an engine.

Since the owner of the engine has expressed some interest in selling, if the price is right, we will buy!

Feel free to PM me if your customer is interested.

Since we live just 45 minutes south of Portland, we can come and pick it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 10:43 am:

That wishbone socket is shot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 11:26 am:

Mark - I have several good 3 dip pans & jig to check them on if you feel like driving up to Longbranch if you don't find one closer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

John; I will figure out where we are at and what the customer wants to do and be in touch sometime next week.

Jerry; You think! :-) Not only is the cup wallowed out, they welded up the one of the stud holes and drilled it off center so the cap would be canted at an angle.

Steve; Thank you for the offer. I have a couple of people close by, don't get that far North often but will keep you in mind. Don't know if we will be up for the swap meet yet.

Right now we have 10+ inches of snow in most parts of Portland. Just quit (for now) snowing. Been out putting up cones to keep people off our street, power line got pulled off one of the houses down the street when a branch came down on the line, which is now hanging across the street. My power is still on, for now. Lots of snow on the trees.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration