OT How many use smart phones?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT How many use smart phones?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:31 am:

Got into a discussion about me not using a smart phone. I said I bet a lot folks don't. How about you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:34 am:

No, just an old flip phone and all I do is make calls, no texting, no messaging, no extras.

I figure why should my phone have a memory when I don't

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:35 am:

I have a cheap Trac phone that I only turn on when I need to make a call. When folks ask me for my cell phone number, I tell them it won't do them any good, my cell phone is almost always turned off.

I do have a cheap Windows 10 wifi-only table that I use around the house and for travel. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:39 am:

Flip phone, buy my time in 300 min. blocks, on all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:39 am:

I have an iPhone 5 that I use, on occasion, to make calls. I almost never turn it on to receive calls, or give out the number, unless I'm traveling. I do use it for photographs. Some of you may have looked at my tour reports on the HCCA website. Most of the pictures included are mine, taken with the cellphone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:42 am:

Oh well, I am of the Flip Phone family also.... no photos, no text.. no apps... just open and say, Hello...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:44 am:

Old flip phone - stays in the truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:45 am:

I have an old iPhone 4S that I use, don't really use it for anything "smart".

My wife lost her iPhone last week and wants to buy two new "smart" phones but I'm not going to pay money for a phone I'll never use for its intended purpose.

t parts are more important.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:46 am:

no way! When my carrier tries to get me to upgrade with all of the fancy stuff I tell them I want to make a phone call do you have one that will do that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:57 am:

The Original Dumb@ss with a smartphone

That would be me ... :-)

I use mine to take pictures & videos with,
then post using Instagram to Facebook & Twitter.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:58 am:

I ain't smaht enof to run me one of dem smaht fones.

I have an LG Cosmos 3 and it does all that I need. Telephone, camera, occasional texting. It has a slide out mini keyboard which does make texting easier. It is small and fits easily into any pocket. I guess that it can access the internet, but I don't utilize that function. The screen is not much larger than a postage stamp, but that's alright, it's a PHONE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

I have an old flip phone that I usually don't carry and have it mostly turned off. I don't give out the number and only use it to make calls.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

Using my smartphone to post this. Samsung galaxy. Its a mini computer. I love it. Get an urge to lurk here and I just whip out the phone. Takes great pics too. I use straight talk carrier..only $45 mo. Unlimited everything. Love it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

I have NEVER had a portable telephone. When my wife claimed I should have one in case I break down on the road (the truck, not me!), I told her that I am the guy others call when THEY breakdown, who would I call?

Of course, without one it makes it hard to be rude and totally ignore someone you were actively talking to if you don't have a little box you can quickly pull out at any moment and start talking into, but I somehow manage.

If I go on a long road trip I bring tools, belts, oil, water and a good spare and my "escape pod"- a bicycle.

I enjoy blissful peace and quiet the whole trip and haven't been stranded. Yet...

As far as missing any "important" calls, my friends know I'm in the house near the telephone at noon for lunch and after dark in the evenings- any other calls are probably just sales people or bill collectors!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

I find it easier to take pics and post them to forum through my iPhone. I rarely use an actual computer except for work/school.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

I have a flip phone. I receive texts but never sent one. I am going to have to start sending them because the young generation will not answer the phone but they will answer a text.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

Samsung Galaxy S6. I'm not one for using a lot of aps and such, but I do like being able to surf the internet and e-mail from my phone when I'm not at a computer. Like when I was sitting in the same place on the interstate the other day for an hour and a half. Made the time pass while I was waiting on them to clear the accident.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:37 pm:

iPhone 4S.
Email, Internet, pics, etc. including this post.
Unlike many people, I control it, not the other way around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

I was a long-time hold out with a flip phone. I've since picked up an iPhone. I have to say I love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Flip-phone. No texting, no apps, traveling and emergency use only should wife need to reach me or vice-versa. I pre-pay $15/mo for 100 minutes... phoned in with the credit card. No contract. Presently have about 16 hours 'rolling over', all features available. They're the only provider that works out here where heavily wooded. Better than AARP deal. GB Packers use their service, although I suspect their phones are a bit pricier than mine. Do a 'Google' for "Cellcom".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

I do...... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

Flip phone. Texting only to my GF or the 2 or 3 people who know I can even get texts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

Flip phone, no text, phone only on when Im away from home. Wife has the smart phone .... Her phone is nice to have when traveling for finding food, rooms, or info on things we see... Im still mad about them making my bag phone not being useable... :-( :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

Flip or dumb phone as my Son calls it. My Wife however does have a smart. One in the house is enough. Have texted once in reply to a doctors appointment. One word in reply to will you be there "yes".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

Another flip phone Luddite here.

A month ago I got a note from TracPhone saying that my old phone was obsolete and would not work with their new system after Jan 1, 2017. But not to worry, they were sending me a new phone for free.

When the new phone came, it was one of those big television phones. I never even took it out of the wrapper. Went straight down to Walmart and bought another flip phone. The new one is even better: larger buttons so I don't mash the wrong number. My kids are too kind to say it to my face, but I suspect that behind my back they call it a "geezer phone".

At Walmart, the nice young man at the counter asked if he could help me. I told him I wanted a cell phone with rotary dial. He didn't even smile. I doubt if he knew what "rotary dial" is. Or maybe he gets the same question all the time from old folks.

Phone lives in the glove compartment of my car, normally turned off. I have no idea what the phone number is -- just use it to call out, not to receive calls.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

This commercial my class made a few years back could help you make a decision: https://youtu.be/ft9asVxsAsk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

I am another Flip Phone user. I have a Lap
top that I am using now for internet use.

Not totally convinced that I need one. Most I phone folks that I know are addicted to Facebook and Twitter.
I occasionally look at the wifes Facebook page which she occasionally uses.

I have to say its AMAZING how much of their lives and personals likes and dislikes they post. I just cant understand why people reveal so much of themselves to the whole world.

Think I will stick to my little Trac flip phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

I borrow other people's phone if I need to make a call. It is incredible how very few people refuse to let you borrow their fancy phones.
To take pictures i haul around my Nikon F camera and four lenses and a flash. For internet I use my laptop during work hours.
I have an alarm on my night table, right whee I need it.
For messages I carry sticky notes. Stick them on the toilet seat so they will get noticed about every three hours.
I am learning how to send native American smoke signals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

I must say, I find the whole smart phone craze very unsettling. Not since the Model T have I seen a device that so captivates, enthralls and intoxicates so much of humankind. The percentage of humankind's attention, handed over to these things, on any given day must be staggeringly large. How much productivity and GENIUNE human interaction has been eliminated by the overarching "importance" of all things smartphone? So much of what they're "used" for is simply silly nonsense, doing nothing to further mental growth or humanity in general. (e.g. Pokémon Go) People are becoming anti-social "vegetables" with the glow of the smartphone screen cast onto their expressionless faces.

And to smartphone devotees, stop pushing those things into people's faces to make then look at all manner of stupid photos they don't care to see.

There, I'm done. Sorry, not really trying to pick on anyone, just blowing off steam during these winter doldrums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

iPhone 5S and use it constantly
0990897375 :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 02:19 pm:

My wife and I share a phone, its a smart phone as cheap as possible. We used to be with strait talk but changed to Metro and now pay only $30 a month unlimited. It will slow down data after a gig but the only time I hit that is when Ive got a long car project and im using it for hours as a radio every day. End result of the slow down is it just takes a little longer to start. Even with the slow down I haven't had problems using it for music and as a GPS travelling where there was little to no radio reception. I don't use it for much although my wife will use it for her facebook and other stuff keeping in contact with her friends and family (Thailand).

Of course being at a swap meet and being able to instant take a picture and send to somebody as an email or message to their phone can have advantages . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

I am too cheap to get one and I probably couldn't figure out how to use one if i ever did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, south of the border on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

I now use a smartphone out of necessity. iPhones are configured so they can talk directly to hearing aids. One of the apps controls my remote microphone so colleagues on the other side of the room can talk to me. The other benefit of this system is the phone doesn't ring; it plays a tone only I can hear.

Right now I'm in an area that doesn't recognize my cell phone. Instead I use Magic Jack or the free talkatone app in order to connect via the hotel's internet or use free internet in restaurants. No service is no reason not to have it in my pocket. I can figure a tip in Elbnonia or anywhere else easily.

I also rely on my cellphone to serve as my alarm clock since I can't hear the high pitches on most alarms. So like anything else, my smartphone is a tool and those talking to me haven't declined.

The camera is cool as well. I can show my wife where I ate lunch while she shoveled snow today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

Flip. Almost No-one knows my number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 02:52 pm:

I have two teenagers. They only text and rarely answer a call. Their phones are set to never ring. You text them to call you. My wife texts all day and plays scrabble with about 10 people every day on her phone, but she is stuck in a wheelchair and cannot leave the house so....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 02:56 pm:

Tom,

You opened my eyes to some very useful assets for the hearing impaired. I'm heading in that direction myself, so will keep your post in mind.

But on the other side of the coin ....... I had a flying student a few years ago who was absolutely addicted to his phone. He would take calls while we were flying, which drove me crazy. I finally had to give him an ultimatum -- I would get in the plane or he could take his phone, but we couldn't both be in the plane at the same time. This same fellow was devoutly religious, and I often wondered if bothered his pastor when he answered his phone during a sermon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

Was skeptical at first, but now love my smart phone. It is essentially my laptop, connected to the "inter-web" to check e-mail, take and send pictures, text, check traffic, check weather, connect to the MTFCA Forum and Classified ads, and least importantly, make and answer phone calls. Never have considered doing FarceBook or Twit, as I don't care to know what people are eating or which bodily function they are currently involved in. I know these apps have other uses, its just my opinion.
The upside is you're never out of touch. The downside, you're never out of touch!
A smart phone is particularly handy when walking around my favorite swap meet for sending pictures to fellow car nuts to check on values and alert each other to those all important finds. A flip phone can do some of these things too, its just easier with a smart phone. Certainly can see both sides to this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

Yes,......I have an I- Phone 6s.

A simple "yes" answers the question, but FWIW, .... I'll add this:

For once I made a pretty good decision I think. Knowing that my flip phone's days were "numbered", when I bought a late model used, but very nice and very "loaded" pickup, I purposely decided to not even try to learn how to use the "on-board" nav system built into the dashoard, knowing that very soon, I would probably have a "smart phone" with a GPS "app". The really neat thing about that is that THAT is the "ONLY" nav system I have to know how to use, because I can take it with me in any and all of my other vehicles, or, even with me when riding with someone else!

Talk about the "dumbing down of America", it's true! All I have to do is verbally tell "SERI" to give e driving directions to "whatever" and I can honestly say that in the last six months or so that I've had the new phone, "SERI" has never failed me! It truly "IS" amazing technology. However, as far as the "dumbing down" part, I really feel that way, because as just one example, I've always been pretty good at reading a roadmap, but I'm sure that in time, I'll soon find that more and more difficult. (....of course, the days of the roadmap are "numbered" too, right?)

I also like the very, very nice built-in camera too, and am finding out more and more what a great tool that can be! And dumb as I am as far as "technology", I've found the phone to be very easy to use.

Okay,....enough! I just thought that I might do someone else some good (that's "stubborn" like I was) about giving up my old flip-phone by relating how successful the "smart phone" has been for me! However, I'd be the first to admit that I'm sure that I don't use even 10% of what the damned thing will do, and I'm still avoiding "texting", and anyone that calls me will hear that I have not set up a mailbox,..... and I don't intend to as I wouldn't check it anyway. I refuse to become a "slave" to the phone and to texting. I'll admit that it does have it's place, but not for me,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

I used a flip phone for years but kids these days only text. I was loosing contact with my grandsons unless we had eye contact, so last April My daughter convinced me to switch to an iPhone 6s. It has far more capability than I will ever use but now I can browse the forum, see where my kids (and grandkids) are, text them and make calls. The maps with live traffic are neat, almost better than the Garmin in the truck. My latest is to put the Chaffin catalog in iBooks so I carry pictures of almost every Model T part in my pocket. Now I can order parts from Dave while looking at the pictures.
Just love it, but don't tell my daughter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Burg on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

I have a I phone 5s and as Harold said SERI is my newest best friend

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

Ask SERI, "what's zero divided by zero".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

Yes, an iPhone 5s. Getting the iPhone 7 soon. Best choice I ever made for using with old cars!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, south of the border on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 04:17 pm:

I am at the point where I don't need state of the art for most of my technical gear.

My iPhone 5C (Cheap)is a re-furbished unit I found on Groupon. My phone service is $35 a month through Net10. I went to Best Buy and bought a one dollar Net 10 SIM for the phone, popped it in the side of the phone with a paper clip, and suddenly my flip phone went dead and my iPhone was alive.

I do not own an interest in any of the aforementioned companies and am only posting so others can save a buck.

My first set of hearing aids was through an ear doctor's office. My second set of hearing aids came from Costco and the ear exam was free. The Costco units are lower cost and the Bluetooth functionality allows them to be controlled by a remote control, or a remote program on iPhone or newer iPads. Costco offers also hands-free driving accessories which I did not buy. I did buy the remote broadcaster for my TV set. My wife assures me that saved our marriage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 04:26 pm:

Yes, I have a iPhone 7 I've been using them for many years I do everything on them email / check eBay even take payments from my iPhone

Thanks Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 04:55 pm:

Flip phone for me. Always in my pocket unless I misplace it. Can't see the screen without my glasses, but most folks will call back if it is important.
Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Raynor in Southampton on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

I phone 6s -128 gigs stores all my pictures and the flashlight feature works good in a pinch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 06:21 pm:

To be honest, I think cell phones were invented by the devil. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

Samsung Galaxy through Verizon. Its expensive and bulky. I hate it. When my contract expires I'm dumping it for a flip phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

I'm awaiting guidance from Steve Jelf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

I don't have a smart phone.

I crank my car and phone with my right hand….

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

This is really typical. Perhaps why some people need a smart phone because their computer is dumb as dirt. Ask who here does NOT use a smart phone and you get a plethora of people with smart phone tell you what model or carrier they use and what they do with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

Stephen, The question was actually open ended and not specific like you see it---at least to me. The last question says "How about you?" Meaning what do you use or dont use. Yes, many have gone into detail about it including me. Maybe it may convince--or not---someone that is on the fence of getting one as to what to do. Again, my opinion.

While I am still a yougin' at 43, I just dumped my old flip phone a year ago. While my new smart phone is way smarter than I am, I do like the few features I do use consistently. I do like it a lot, my plan isn't overly expensive with my wife's and my phone on it, I am not going back to the old flip phone.

I was going to hold out as long as I could with the old flip phone, but I found it hindering me with some of daily life's task because everyone else it seems has one. I use it ALOT for work purposes (something I hadn't figured would happen), because it makes it very convenient to take pictures of parts and send them to customers or vendors that I am looking to buy from. I also would rather get a text than hear another phone ring, as that is all I hear all day long. The internet at my finger tips is not hard to take either, as well as some great apps I have used.

Yup, I have embraced it and I am happy. While it kills me to know that it still has big brother capability of tracking me, I just deal with it.

If I was single, I would probably just buy a Tracphone smart phone for myself. I have used Tracphone in the past with pleasing results and my father has and still uses them with his smart phone and is pleased with what he gets out of it and them also. It is certainly cheaper by maybe 1/3 compared to my plan---it really just depends on your useage.

(Message edited by Chad_Marchees on January 10, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

We just got a flip phone last spring. Wife went to see the grandbaby, so she needed one to talk to me. daughter doesn't own a house phone, only that thing stuck to her ear. If you want to talk to her, call her!

I have a pc & a house phone with a message machine, call and leave a message, maybe I'll call back.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

I have a smart phone and am totally addicted to it. Can't live a day without it. I wish I had never heard of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

I heard you can get ear mites by borrowing someone else's phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

I have an iPhone BC……..aka an old flip phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Trac phone that's never on unless I need to make a call when away from home. Buy 60 min, three month cards for $20. That's less than $7 a month. Have about a couple thousand minutes balance. If I got a newer phone it would be out of date before I learned how to use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

I'm still using a stupid phone. Samsung LG flip phone from Verizon. I've never sent a text. Not interested. Eventually I suppose I'll "upgrade" to something I can use for navigation when traveling. But I'm put off by not being a fan of touch screens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

I was very slow to get a celfone at all, but being self-employed, it was
just something I had to do to be available to clients

About a year ago I had a techie client give me her new iphone when she
got the latest upgrade. She was annoyed that I had no texting capabilities
and even more annoyed that I did not care ! She spends LARGE for every
gadget update possible.

Up until that time I was a holdout of the flip phone crowd. I use the iphone
for phone calls and the occasional text. Mostly for work. Got no use for
social media or any of that kind of bullsh!t. I have a life. No need for a fake
one online.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

I am sure happy that people embraced technology over 100 years ago or we would not be restoring Model T's or other historic cars. I embrace technology, iPhone 7s all the way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

For me, my iPhone 7+ is the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

I use it mainly for:

1. Phone calls, mainly work related
2. Text, mainly work related and dealing with my kids
3. Camera, mainly work related
4. Reading the news
5. Calendar/To Do/Scheduling, mainly work related
6. Clock/Alarm Clock
7. Compass
8. Flashlight
9. Level
10.Speedometer

Those are 10 tasks that I use virtually on a daily basis. I can accomplish all 10 tasks with one device that fits in my pocket.

Works for me!

Disclaimer: I work for Apple

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

I haven't seen a flip phone for years!
I have a smart phone but I'm smart enough not to let it rule me. The odd time I'll see a nice photo and dont have a camera handy, I txt often as its a great way when in business to recall the instruction or a response at a later time, and the odd phone call as often plans here in NZ have unlimited txts & calls.
The free GPS speedo on it is perfect in the T, the internet is handy the odd time.
I have always had Samsung as every model upgrade is similar to operate and you can enlarge the txt to HUGE so no glasses needed.
I saw a guy in the supermarket the other day hold his phone up to the keypad then put his pin in to pay, there is new public toilets in the next town that you pay $1.50 via your Iphone to open the door! Next decade if you dont have a smart phone you'll go hungry and wet your pants lol.
However when I went to the states last July for 6 weeks holiday the phone got turned off and left in the glove-box of the car at the airport, bet a teenager can't do that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 12:35 am:

IPhone 6 Plus

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 01:17 am:

I have no cell service at home, nor cable nor wi-fi, so I just use a flip phone for the few times I need a cell phone--sometimes I forget to take it with me.
Now computer and internet? Uh oh, I'm addicted!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 01:36 am:

I think I saw that face on the wall at the PO !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 02:20 am:

Love my smart phone, had one for a few years now. I can sit in work meetings and order parts, text with friends, get the weather, take really nice pictures, read the forum, receive and send email, even find out what to do when my T won't start!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 02:25 am:

Samsung S4 and before that HP iPaq.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 07:03 am:

You flip-phone guys are missing out on plenty of model T Forum fun. With a smart phone, you can do just about anything....

Wife wants you to go shopping with her? No problem. Sit on the bench while she shops and cruise the forum on your nice new smart phone....

Stuck at your wifes family reunion? Sit back, relax, and enjoy cruising ebay for model T parts on your smart phone....

You get my point...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 08:37 am:

The people with smart phones get first pick of deals in the classifieds section!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Interesting discussion. Firm opinions and very little middle ground.

In 2011, Anja and I were going to drive to San Francisco for an Air Force reunion and then to Phoenix to see my sister. She said we needed to get smart phones before the trip. I wasn't convinced, but had learned through the years the value of keeping the peace. The funny thing was that she never really used the thing very much and I became fascinated by all the things it would do. I don't text the way teens do - just to chat. I text to communicate something. I had actually assumed that I would never text until the time Anja was in a skilled nursing facility and I was coordinating kids and visits. I use it to email and am able to accept translation projects while grocery shopping. As others have said, I use the camera for useful things as well. If I need the serial number from an appliance, I take a picture of it. A few months ago, my eyes were swollen and kind of crusty, so I took a picture and emailed it to my doctor, who sent a prescription to my pharmacy. I can check bank balances and transfer money from the phone. I have a fair number of apps, but all of them are useful in some way. (I have a grand total of one game - a Solitaire version that I use to pass time in waiting rooms.) I have an appointment with my audiologist this afternoon to get new hearing aids and will definitely get a kind that will bluetooth with my phone.

I guess I have always liked gadgets and things that make my life easier. The iPhone is close to the ultimate gadget and certainly has made my life easier. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 09:23 am:

Got a IPhone 3 in 2005 and transferred my landline number. Now have a 5S. No more landline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 10:03 am:

I have the cheapest Samsung Verizon flip phone which is still authorized to take on airplanes. Phone calls and texts prepaid plan for $8.33 a month. I like having a phone in my car and on my person for a 911 call while I'm out and about. I can take a picture of something I want to remember for later.

I still have a land line in my house which is my preferred means of communication. I don't get dropped and I can actually understand the uninterrupted conversation of other person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 10:10 am:

I'm somebody now! :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7aIf1YnbbU

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 10:14 am:

Flip phones since they did away with my bag phone.. I just got my Samsung Convoy 2 off ebay for 20 bucks with 2 chargers. Several years ago I had a friend that texted me a couple times and after about 10 minutes of looking at a picture with 2 magnifying glass's I said to h--- with this. I went to Verizon and told them take texting off my service or cancel the service.I have been with the same bunch since 1994 so I don't think they want me gone.
If you can't talk to me, email me or send me a letter. I aint mashin buttons on that little phone. And touch screen, Nope,I do not like the 1 on my gps, I sure don't want to have to use 1 more often.
So 30 bucks a month for 700 minutes. works for me.
And yes, I am yet another that would like to wring the neck of the man that decided my bag phone was no longer usable. It was a 3 watt transmitter that was analog,it would get out much better than these digital phones in my area.You could connect it directly to a external antenna for better range. Something you can't do with any of these newer phones.
It is large enough to hold in my hand and the buttons you can feel move under your finger,letting you know you actually mashed them instead of wondering "did i or did I not mash it".

I have a real life,don't want a fake 1 that I post on facebook..
"OH look at me,I am in the bathroom at Lowes" "oh look at me, I just had a wreck sending you a text"
"I just had grits for breakfast ,look at these lumps"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Wow. This thread has more responses than most. I'll through in. I have an I phone SE and one thing I like most is when I'm out and find something interesting to buy I can look it up right there and see if it is a fair price or not. The camera is amazing and is with me all the time. Never know when you need a camera. I'm sure this thing does more than I need or even know about but I like it. I like taking pictures of my T at different places we go. I use it a lot when we are out in the jeep too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 11:37 am:

Well I asked Seri what zero divided by zero is ....

Found out Cookie Monster is sad because he has no cookies and I am sad because Seri said I have no friends ....

Then I told Siri " I do have friends " ...

Seri replied " I'm sure you do. But do you have any cookies ? "

Well - Seri has me there so I am going to step away from my I phone 7 for awhile and go buy some cookies at the Kingman Walmart - then I will continue this discussion further with Seri ...

Freighter Jim
Bored in Kingman, AZ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 11:39 am:

I still use a land line only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 11:42 am:

FJ...if you're bored, go take a side trip to the Hoover Dam...you're not far from it. I could go there yearly if I had the time or lived nearby. Love that place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 11:46 am:

You're right Tim been there twice on Motorcycle tours when I lived in Califunny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

Tim,

Been to Hoover Dam many times - cool place.

About 30 years ago I stopped - saw all the big fish right by the dam wall - started fishing - wondered why no one else was fishing.

Park ranger came up & told me no fishing on the dam !

There was a lot of interest in the 1913 Touring on HCCA in Minden, NV but no one has bought it yet.

If I leave Kingman & head east it just gets colder.

I kinda like Kingman - more than Barstow

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson, Bloomington, MN. on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

Wife and I both have Apple i-phone 6. Great for pictures by the way. Got real tired of light bulb salesmen, cemetery plot salesmen, and automated dialups always calling on the land line around dinnertime. The land line is gone and could not be happier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David C Jahnke on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

And we wonder why young people aren't interested in Model T's. Perhaps the culture divide between many Model T collectors and the current generation is just to wide. I have an iPhone 7, but I have to admit it is a recent purchase. I was always using computers, but until I actually bought an iPhone, I didn't realize how much I was missing. I also have hearing problems, and text messages has been great, but there are so many other things I use the phone for, including no longer having to carry a separate camera around. that I regret not having gotten rid of my simple phone years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

Facebook! Twitter! Instagram!
"For those of my generation who do not, and cannot, comprehend why Facebook exists: I am trying to make friends outside of Facebook while applying the same principles.
Therefore, every day I walk down the street and tell passersby what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before, what I will do later and with whom.
I give them pictures of my family, my dog, and of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch, and doing what anybody and everybody does every day.
I also listen to their conversations, give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I like them.
And it works just like Facebook.
I already have four people following me: two police officers, a private investigator and a psychiatrist."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

Marv, I'm sure you have a lawyer following you also if you look around..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:40 am:

"Prob-aahb-lee!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:46 am:

All the time. It is my calendar, address book, camera, and mp3 player, access e-mail, text Mom, read the mtfca forum, not to mention I use it as a phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:55 am:

I got a smart phone a couple of years ago. I gave it back after 2 weeks. The reason I went back to a flip phone was the smart phone was too large to carry in my pocket. I ended up just leaving the phone at home or in the car because it wouldn't fit in my pocket without being annoying. I wear shorts 9 months out of the year. The flip phone carries easily in the front pocket. My current flip phone doesn't have a camera. The last one did and I didn't use it much but sometimes that is really handy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 01:51 am:

As far as an old car is concerned, the smartphone is the best thing since sliced bread!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 08:57 am:

I've got an speedometer App on my phone (it was free) that I use all the time with my old cars. Works great. It's called Dashboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:43 am:

It's not that I don't accept technology,(I used to work for AOL) but the smart phone unlike the model T is such an invasion of your privacy. There are several "Black Apps" that will allow anyone to track you by your phone especially if you don't monitor the changes registered apps are making to your phone. Jay vey vey vey (ancient Hebrew text) equals WWW in modern Romanesque language also has the numerical value of 6 so you may be correct!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Iphone 6S and could not do business without it. I sell machine tools TO Asia and Europe, and I can be available whenever needed. I have been told by many customers that it is their ability to reach me quickly that has made a difference in which brand of machine that they buy. I can pick up multiple days in communications by sending off a message around 9:00 at night and that instantly gets me a day ahead.

I use many apps that aid me in worldwide travel as well as being on top of the technology that my two daughters use. I can facetime with my kids from China for free, text from Thailand, and check their school grades instantly from anywhere.

The technology is good and bad, being connected all the time brings a certain expectation of availability, but being available in my world is what makes my world go round.

Just my opinion as it pertains to my life....

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:16 am:

I refuse to be one of the BORG!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:39 am:

I've enjoyed reading all the posts to this thread. Some responses I anticipated, others not so much. I find it funny that some posters don't feel this forum is social media, but it is. We see food pics, selfies, garage pics. We know what cars members drive and what their preferences are towards many subjects. I don't remember who posted "I have a real life I don't need a fake one on the internet", but that poster doesn't even use a real name so they indeed do have a fake life on the internet :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:53 am:

Gary,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

Gary, it was ME who wrote that. And if you think that isn't my real name,
you can just come check my papers, Amigo ! :-)

It seems to me, in a comment like yours, that you have not met social media
users like some that I have. I know several who document their day EVERY DAY,
and carry on a regimented protocol to post photos, a daily diary detail of their
day's activities, right down to what they eat, what the dog ate, did, and how
many times they let it out to kill the grass !

Sure, by some degree, any internet forum is a form of social media. But no one
is going to read about the color of my bedsheets or see photos of Steve darning
socks. Hold on. That video *might* be coming ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

No need to check papers, Burger in Spokane but your parents sure had a sense of humor when they named you Burger in Spokane :-) Reminds me of an episode of Trailer Park Boys where a couples address was entered where their newborn's name should have gone on the birth certificate, so his name was The Motel :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Surprise!

I recently, and reluctantly, handed in my old flip phone. I also opened a Face Book account on the inter-web about 6 months ago. Now I have the opportunity to see pictures of my kids and grandkids and see what they are doing in their lives. I even get text messages from my kids, whereas before sometimes it would be weeks or months between communications. Now I know that communication is a two way street, so consequently, I am in communication with my kids way more than before.

Recently my wife and I were shopping and got separated. She sent me a text asking where I was. I took a picture of myself sitting on a couch in the furniture section and told her that I was just waiting for her...

So although my wonderful wife has dragged me kicking and screaming into the 21st century (and I am like an updraft carburetor--a little slow on the uptake) I have embraced it. She is the reason we got the inter-web.

Yes, the MTFCA discussion forum was my first (and still primary) social media.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

Ah, yes, Keith. I forgot that one. Meeting someone at a shopping mall and being able to text, "I just got here. Where are you?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 03:06 pm:

Keith,

Like you it was the grandkids the caused us to get smart phones.
They live on the East Coast so "Facetime" is a great tool to see them often.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

I have an "El Cheapo" Tracfone flip phone. Four people have my phone number. When I get an unwanted call, I push the "ignore" button. I did have a dum bass salesperson who was calling we 3-4 times a day, so I'd press "answer" then set the phone down and walk away. I hope he enjoyed the robot sounds he heard here at work... I am on 3 forums, MTFCA, a Suzuki Samurai forum, and an antique engine forum. None of which have my full name or address, just my "handle". I enjoy my privacy and don't do facebook or anything of that sort. There are more important / fun things I'd rather be doing with my time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 01:40 am:

No I don't.

Had one for nearly 2 weeks but it was awful so I smashed it.

(Reason I got it was because I literally cannot contact anyone anymore.
Imagine walking into someone house and sitting beside them and they completely ignore you, nose down, touching the screen of their phone, tagging their friend sitting next to them in fakebook posts, texting each other through fakebook and other apps because it's 'free' despite the fact they are sitting next to each other.
So I got a 'smart' phone. Nobody would add me to their apps contacts, the flavour of the month changes constantly so you can't talk to them on the smart phone anyway... and you can't edit the phone contacts list, just end up with 1,000 duplicates of the same person on a different number.
Only redeeming feature of the smart phone was I could stream youtube videos and look up car stuff while working on the car.
Ban smart phones for all i care.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 02:59 am:

I have sox I should darn, but I'm too busy posting pictures of my lunch on Facebook.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

Can you imagine the uproar if back about 1980 congress had passed a law that we all had to wear a little locator device on our persons that could tell the feds of our whereabouts 24/7/365? And yet, here we are. As soon as a new and improved model comes out we rush out and buy it and throw the old one away. I know, I know, we call 'em cell phones but gentlemen, that ain't all they are. And no controversial laws had to be passed. :-(

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration