2017 Tour Red Buses are Full

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 2017 Tour Red Buses are Full
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Barr on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

All of the currently available seats on the Red Buses are allocated. I am checking to see if we can get more buses, but not sure if this will be possible. If you want to be on waiting list, send in your registration with the Red Bus tour included. I'll keep it active until later this Spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

Hi John, I'm glad I mailed our registration for the tour on January 3rd and certainly hope we made it for the Red Bus.

I guess this shows that more busses are needed, maybe have some available on another day. The demand is certainly there.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Mark,

If you missed the yellow bus - then the red bus was your last chance.

Mark ....

You missed the buses ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Mark,

It's for the MTFCI/MTFCA National Tour this coming July in Glacier Nat'l. Park. Taking a tour in the "red busses" is/was an optional event I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

If you have your T there, what do you need a bus for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 03:01 pm:

They are historic buses. Very unique once in a life time experience for many. Check it out at the link below.

http://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/red-bus-tours

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

When we visited on the last T tour we drove up but as driver I didn't get to see much except when stopped at the numerous road works. Later in the week we went back and we took the Red Bus tour. The views are great..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

These historic White Motors buses are now powered by Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

There are several tour bus companies in Glacier, one is run by native Americans, the Red Bus is neat though.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

Just a guess, but I suppose the short buses were filled first ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 12:56 am:

The old White busses were taken to Detroit and restored by Ford.
The bodies were mounted on new Ford modern truck chassis.
It is my understanding Ford did it free of charge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 12:02 am:

Misconceptions abound on the nature of the paints used on Model Ts, especially before "all black" production. There's no more point in offering facts about the methods and materials in use over a century ago and the nature of their decay with age than there is in prescribing a single ideal motor oil. Folks tend to think "paint is paint" and become emotionally invested in what they believe is "right" about it.

That said, here's what I believe: The paints used originally presented as attractive high finishes when new, and were better than adequately durable, giving good service through the normal using life of the cars and well beyond when well cared for. Colors on the early Ts were top coated with suitably tinted varnishes as had been common practice for decades.

It is the nature of the paints and varnishes that were used to darken with age in the absence of sunlight, which makes it certain that paint samples which have seldom if ever seen the light of day will most likely appear much darker than they did when first applied. To what extent is indeterminable. These paints do not "yellow" when exposed to UV, but depending on the nature of the pigments employed will generally fade appreciably when exposed to sun and weather.

A turn of the century "green" paint may very well have been formulated with a nickel compound as the pigment stuff; many such pigments are well known to turn black with age, a consequence of chemical interactions with the drying oils and resin compounds in the paint.

Modern paints bear about as much resemblance to the finishes used originally as wood-grained Formica does to solid hardwood. They're more durable, they're practical and readily available in this day and age, and they look reasonably enough like the real thing so as not to be offensive. Close, but no cee-gar. ;- )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 09:08 am:

I took my registration to the post office Tuesday morning Jan. 3, since they were closed on Monday. Couldn't have mailed it any sooner. Didn't get the red bus, am on the waiting list. Hope they can get more buses, don't really care about the color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 09:33 am:

I was replying to the post "Colors . . . How do we know "
How it got in here I've no idea. Sorry for the error.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 09:38 am:

Maybe they have a short bus for those who missed? Sorry couldn't let it slide and no Im not on any bus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary kmiecik on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Took the red bus last year. Try not to get the back seat, the canves top roles back and you have limited view looking up. Seeing your going through the mountions that's a big deal. I was disappointed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

Canvas Top ... Pocket Knife...What limited view? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

had a great visit to glacier park the middle of september and rode the red bus. yes we sat in the back seat, just my wife and i, and had a great time. we experienced the first snow fall of the season when we reached the pass. they closed the road behind us as we decended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 04:00 pm:

Stuart,
That last photo is one INSANE looking piece of road! I'm sure there are other places in the world as such, but to imagine building and maintaining them just amazes me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

let me tell you , it amazed us too.
a little scary in places.

by the way the engines on the buses are powered by both propane and gasoline. when they get low on one or the other they switch over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 10:16 am:

Driving your T would be a much better experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 10:33 am:

:-),I always wanted to drive the short bus! you get tired of just riding it year after year! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

David, there is a road very much like that near Steuben, Austria. It was fun to drive on it!
BTW: There are some very similar yellow buses (to the ones at Glacier) operating in Skagway, AK. I believe that they were also rebuilt and I think are now pretty much modern GM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

There was snow on the ground behind the visitor's center at the top of the pass when we were there in the middle of July.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration