Interesting T speedster project on BaT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Interesting T speedster project on BaT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1920-ford-model-t-board-track-racer/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

Looks cool. However, I would NOT trust that front axle drop method AT ALL! That's gonna bend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 01:45 pm:

Looks like he has a gusset welded in for support and for the shock to mount to but I just don't trust welds on a front axle. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

Agree...on front axle. Doesn't matter whether it is strong enough or not...it is just plain hokey...when a conventional dropped axle would work fine. The best part of this whole car is the exhaust header...nice work...overkill for the rest of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

I'd be wary of those wheels too. They look like steel disks installed over standard wood wheels. Who knows what issues could be lurking beneath.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

I'm also leery of "bill of sale only" and no knowledge of the car's past history. As in, it's stolen? Probably not, but who can say for sure?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 04:25 pm:

Trying to be "positive" here, so have to say that it's a pretty little racer, and excellent photos that are fun to look at to study "details", some of which I like, and some of which I don't like. The first "negative" I saw was the welded up front axle. I agree John, the conventional "dropped" axle would not only "work fine" as you (and others) have said, but would sure look a lot better! Some really carefully chosen wording here in written description, for example, the way it's worded, I'd certainly suspect a bad radiator! FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

We all have our own opinions to what is "acceptable" and what we ourselves like.

The overall concept is nice, but it seems to be confused as to what time period it was built in. There are features on the car that span the near 100 years of its life. While I don't believe that front axle would fail if it was welded correctly, I would feel much better with a dropped axle myself.

Nice car, just needs some fixin' in my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

It needs a double wishbone or it will fold up under stress such as a bump in the road and that could cause the color of the seats to change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

John, that header is a modern "sprint car" style header. While it is a nice looking piece, it is another one of the "features" that leads confusion of the era the car was built in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

I like it! If I had the money and room, I'd buy it, address the observed safety issues, and drive the heck out of it! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration