Height Adjustment Thingie?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Height Adjustment Thingie?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Hi, the rear passenger side of my T is 1 inch lower than the other side. Does this thingie circled in red near the wheel hub at the end of the leaf spring adjust the height in the back? Other technical terms for this are whatchamacallit, whosit, and thingamabob.

Back of T

Adjustment thingie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

No, that does not adjust the height. First you must park on a level surface, then measure the height of the frame on one side, then the other.

Your height problem could be caused by sagging spring, or broken leaves. If those are OK, you will find that there are two U bolts in the center attaching the spring to the frame. The cross member in that location must be in good condition not cracked. There is a hole in the cross member right in the center and the head of the through bolt which holds the spring leaves together should be in that hole. There is also a pad either leather or felt which goes above the spring between the spring and cross member. That pad must be in good condition and in place. as you tighten the U bolts, tighten each side a few turns then the other evenly. Measure the height at each side and if one side is higher, loosen slightly the opposite side and tighten the one which is high. Measure again. Try to get both sides tight with the frame as level as possible.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

No, the thingy attached to the backing plate is the spring perch and the two pieces attaching the perch to the spring are part of the shackle. They do not determine body height. It's hard to tell and may be an illusion, but your spring appears off-center to the left. If the square end of the spring center bolt is not properly located in the hole in the crossmember then the body will be forced to lean when the u-bolts are tightened. Other things that may cause a lean are broken spring leaves and a bent or twisted frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

So I loosened the cross-member u-bolt on the low side and tightened it some on the other side and was able to get 1/2 inch higher so that only someone really looking can tell it is a little off. Cotter pin tool is essential. It would have been a very tough job to get those out without one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:29 pm:

I had a shackle stuck in a perch and it did that. It was rusted in tight!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 11:45 pm:

I don't see any oilers on the rear perch or spring eye?? These should be there for proper lubrication .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 12:17 am:

I looked up oilers and I see a picture of one but am not sure how they work? I presume they oil?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 06:11 am:

What you have is a rusted DOO-HICKEY....apply penetrant oil liberally, then regular oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Yes Ignacio, they are there to introduce oil into the bushings. You should have little chrome cups with flip top lids on them on the top of the perches. Also on the steering gear, including the spindle bolts. Flip the lid up and put oil in them and they "oil" the parts by gravity. There's a whole set of opinions on just what type of oil to use, that'll certainly come up next. I just use good old 30 weight. It seems to make it all the way down the spindle bolts which to me is as important as anything. I also oil up everything about every 200 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 09:57 am:

Your 1924 should have oilers like the one on op of this front perch. You flip open the top and put in the oil. I like chain saw oil because of its tendency to stay put.

Here's a top view:

There are several lube charts. Here are three:

This is irrelevant to your car, but I'll show the earlier oilers too. They're in a parts salad.

This is not a brass era perch, but it has 1915 shackles with brass twist oilers used on the early cars. A 1915 perch would have the wishbone through it and would not have the hole and flip-top oiler on top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 10:02 am:

Steve, you can take a lead fishing weight and pound it into that top oiler hole, then file it flush and paint it, it will be nearly invisible. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

If you were able to loosen one u-bolt and tighten the other and change the lean, then the head of the spring center bolt is not in the cross member hole. You need to get the bolt in the hole so that the cross member sits flat on the spring. This is not always easy to do. It is very hard to tell when things are lined up especially if the spring is a tight fit in the cross member.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

Ignacio: Someone was looking at my Depot Hack and said it was leaning! Well I got my trusty carpenter lever and started to level the Hack. I first loosened the spring u-bolts one at a time and checked for a spring bolt and pad in place- then I shifted the body to be as level as possible. Then I started tightening up the spring u-bolts till they were tight-watching the body was still level. Tightening them -left bolt bolt then right bolt EQUALLY-till they are TIGHT-then cotter keyed them. I then checked the front and made sure it was also level. As the saying goes that is my story and I am going to stick to it
Good luck and "Happy T'ing I am not sure which T in on my profile but on of the 2 is there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

The flip top oilers you question are for the oil, and for the rear spring must be installed correctly as pictured in the Service Book, or you will not be able to flip open the cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

You will notice the shackle has oilers in it. I think that perhaps an earlier rear axle has been installed in that car or at least earlier spring perch and shackle.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

That last pic that Steve posted is important for Ignacio's rear axle shackles. His touring has the late '12? to '14? rear axle. We can see the front side (upper) oiler but the rear (lower) is missing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration