OT, Twelve Months on - - Reliable Dayton.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT, Twelve Months on - - Reliable Dayton.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Martin on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 07:43 am:

January 11th 2016,Donnie Brown posted an article on this forum relating to his build of a model T speedster. The body was purchased at the 2014 Chickasha swap meet and the article consisted of some 150 photos and description of the rebuild of the body and how it was all done.
During the photo slide show another Forum member, W.S. asked D.B. to show photos of a motor buggy stored in the corner of his workshop. The photos showed up with a little story and after a private message through the Forum system, (Thanks to the MTFCA), contact was made with Donnie Brown and on January 24th we had a Digital hand shake with the purchase of a 1908 Reliable Dayton.
Arrangements were made with the Australian Government for an Import Licence and the shipping from Los Angles to Sydney, Australia.
Donnie kindly agreed to pack and transport the Reliable Dayton in his just purchased Model T enclosed trailer to the Chickasha swap meet in March 2016.
Fortunately for us another Forum member, Mr Tony Bowker, agreed to transport the R.D from the Chickasha Swap meet to Compton, Los Angles to our contact for shipping to Australia.
The R.D. arrived on the 24th April in perfect condition as packed and wrapped by Donnie Brown in Arkansas but on arrival in Sydney the Customs and Quarantine people sure made a mess of Donnie's good work.
Restoration is well on the way. The top irons and bows are made and varnished. The seat has been painted and is booked in to be upholstered with buttoned leather and a new top covering.
The transaxle has had major work with a new crown wheel and pinion and missing pinion bearing and bearing housing remade, A complete set of (6) gearbox gears, bearings and new cluster shaft and six new differential gears (Twelve gears in
total) The differential gears were completely damaged by a shade tree mechanic allowing six 1/4inch thrust balls falling into the crown wheel mounting housing. These six little balls didn't give up their rampage of distruction. The six gearbox gears were damaged by metal objects either broken gear teeth or broken bolt heads from the crown.
All gearbox gears were #6DP with a pressure angle of 14and half degree, The new gears are made with a pressure angle of 20degree which gives the gears a stronger and thicker profile. The crown wheel now has 12 mounting bolts instead of the 6 originally. I would say that the gearbox was the achelies heal of the Reliable Dayton because of the fine teeth profile of the first gear driving gear and I would say that a tooth stripped and gave the rest of the gears a big hurry up while still driving the car in high gear.

Donnie is an exceptional person to deal with and his computer skill and Photo's, Photo's, Photo's gave me complete confidence in the purchase of the Reliable Dayton and it is true to his word.

I would like to thank Tony Bowker for his skill and patience for the transport from Chickasha to Compton, and also thank Wayne Sheldon for his comment to Donnie Brown to show his buggy in the corner of his shop.(View Donnie's speedster article)

I would also like to thank the MTFCA for the access to their forum and the forum members for their knowledge and enjoyment.
Regards to all. ....Neil Martin.

Donnie Brown and Tony Bowker at Chickasha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Martin on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 07:54 am:

My photo text and other photo's are lost in the clouds.
Donnie and Tony at Chickasha at trailer change over time. ...Neil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 10:50 am:

Neil, glad it is coming along OK. I had that car for over 20 years. So I was a nervous wreck till it made it to Australia. It was kinda like sending your kid off to college or to war. I believe it has found a good home, and hope to see it running soon. Thanks for the nice comments, but it took good people on "both sides of the pond", to make it happen ... It was a pleasure doing business with you and your son. Regards, Donnie ...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration