Stopping a TT Tractor/Trailer Combination

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Stopping a TT Tractor/Trailer Combination
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 08:45 am:

Seeing this photo posted to another thread here

and having known loggers, the one thing I'm pretty sure of is if there were no scales between the brow and the mill, this little TT will get overloaded, often. I see it's running on a plank road so the rig will roll easier; but regardless of what aftermarket brakes the truck has to help the transmission brake, they're still relying on the ground contact of two tires to stop. I was wondering:

1) were automatic trailer brakes available in this era, and

2) what other innovative methods did these truck drivers and their mechanics use to keep everything right side up and under control on severe downgrades?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 09:36 am:

Good questions. I can't give you direct answers to them, but looking at this photo carefully suggests this truck had no auxiliary brakes since there's only a single brake rod (emergency brake) visible on the vehicles left side. Also, I don't see anything to suggest that trailer had any brakes at all.

I imagine the guys who drove rigs like this one probably never let the thing get going very fast and used the engine to manage speed. That means TT slow, and we all know what that is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 09:43 am:

I think a truck pulling a heavy load and stopping with a load would have an aux transmission to assist the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 10:01 am:

The Cordes boys can run 60 mph or so with their TT truck and trailer. Maybe they or their dad will chime in here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 10:01 am:

In the late 20s my grandpa was hauling logs in central Florida with a TT. I'm sure that braking wasn't much of a problem in the flat country here but they used auxillary transmissions and Ruckstell axles for pulling power. I don't know if they had outside brakes or trailer brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

I think in severe conditions they may drag a log or something behind. The logging trains would drag a large spent cable that was wrapped around a stump or two then tie on to the other end and drag it back up when empty. My 96 year old uncle explained this to me as he was an old time logger. They were very innovative in those days.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration