Need Advice 26 Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Need Advice 26 Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

First is it called a Roadster or Runabout? Which is correct?

I want to remove the body within the next week or so. Should I leave the trunk attached or do they come off separately? This is my first go around with a Model T and no need to reinvent the wheel if you know what I mean.

Advice and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks
Gerald

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

I can answer the first one.

IMG_2412 copy 2.JPG
This is a roadster.

IMG_2412 copy 2.JPG
This is a runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

I can answer the first one.

This is a roadster.

This is a runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

The forum software refuses to delete the first post. It calls my user name and password invalid. Chris?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

I would detach the turtle and remove them separately. You can remove them in one piece if that suits you, it's just easier to remove them separately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:18 am:

Like Steve suggested, both terms are probably correct. Our modern day version of a two seat coup refers to them as a roadster. I prefer to call it a runabout....But that's just me. Here's an early ad...you decide. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:28 am:

My user name and password are invalid many times. I just post again and all is fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:40 am:

Gerald, Steve's just funning ya. A lot of people in the antique car hobby call them roadsters, even the Model A was called roadsters. How ever the correct Ford Term and advertised as the Runabout.
I've had people that were big into A's refer to my car as a Phaeton, then I corrected them, mine is a touring. To each their own, don't worry about it .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 05:52 am:

Thanks

That was what I thought on the trunk so I will start taking a look at that. Maybe I will have time this weekend to get a little done on it. Not sure how and where all the bolts are but so far everything is pretty straight forward on the other body parts. Lots of pictures as I go.

I have been waffling and call it a Runabout and Roadster so I will just pick one. So many people at work ask about it every day and I enjoy showing the pictures as it comes apart.

Thanks
Gerald

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 08:51 am:

Funny that George mentioned that, I recently bought a 28A Phaeton and keep calling it a Touring... Maybe I'll get it right sometime soon but without outside door handles it looks more like a T.

But I believe that in the T era it was only referred to as a Runabout and then in the A era it became a Roadster - the latter being more widely known as the description.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:10 am:

It was mentioned some time back that Ford never called them Roadsters, always Runabouts. I won't swear that that's true, but I have not yet seen the term Roadster on any original Ford documents.

I use either term interchangeably.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

Gerald. I went to the books to do a little research. I have many different years of parts price lists. I was going to try and compile a list of what years things were called whatever... But my March 15, 1927 Price List of Body parts pretty well sums it up. Ford called the car

1. Runabout from 1909 till 1914 (with the exception of the Torpedo of 11-12 era that most are familiar with)

2. Torpedo from 1915 till 1922

3. Roadster from 1922 till 1925

4 and still called the Improved models of 26-27 Roadsters.

There was no mention in my catalogs separating the early Torpedos of 11-12 vintage from the others.

It appears the change to the term "Roadster" came about with the new body style during 1922, that is when they went from the straight windshield to the sloping windshield, There also was the change from low radiator to high radiator at that time .

So from my little bit of research it appears that if you have a high radiator/sloping windshield car from 1922-27 you have a Roadster. And a low radiator/straight windshield car is a torpedo. And Runabout is reserved for 1914 and earlier.

All my price/parts list held true to the same terms mentioned above. I just show a couple pages dealing with the roadster/torpedo/runabout question. But they all used the same terms.

Im far from a expert, but that is what the bunch of parts/price lists show... and there could possibly be exceptions to the part/price lists use of terms.

a couple pages from the March 15, 1927 parts/price lists

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration