Roadster Pick Up spare tire carrier

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Roadster Pick Up spare tire carrier
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

I just bought my first Model T recently, a 1925 Roadster with a pick up bed. I am wondering what do do with the 21" demountable spare rim. I see many just keep them in the back of the bed. I recall hearing about a scarce bracket or mount that allows the spare to be correctly mounted on the running board.

Anyone have images or additional info on this part?

Thanks, Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

Erik
I have one that I will take pictures of. I'm currently on the road,so it will be a couple of weeks. On a bit of a related question, do you have the pickup tail light bracket that mounts under the box?
Regards

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

Just realized you say '25. Mine is 26-7. Not sure if it would be appropriate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

Les:

I have the vertical stamped twilight bracket ( Lang's)

My bed is a late '26 with the embossed fender radius shape and the forward posts 7"back from the corner. '25 style rails under it to mount it to the '25 roadster. Car is pretty original late '25 with 21" demountable wheels. When it found me is was in primer, so pulled it apart and now painting all the body parts black. It has almost perfect original wood, and no rust to speak of.

Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

Erik,

I've had a similar quandary. I'm thinking about building my own bracket that would hold at least one, if not two spares on the driver's side running board right where the door would be. The idea is still bouncing around in my noodle, so I'm open to suggestions. If you find something that works well let me know. If not, I can show you what I have in mind. My idea is more about functionality than being period-correct, so I guess it depends on your vision.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

Erik: The spare tire carrier for the pickup was only supplied for the '26-'27 pick up trucks. I don't believe Ford ever made a tire carrier for the 1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:25 am:

Jack:

Thanks for the image. Where on the car does this bracket mount?

Seems to me that a similar tube bracket could be made, however with fittings to accept the demountable rim, instead of the hub mounting used on the '26'27 wire wheels. Not all of the improved cars came with wire wheels, or did they?

Thanks, Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 02:29 am:

The "Y"carrier for 21"or 30x3/12"tires should bolt right on that one. The RB tire carrier I make mounts on the right front wind shield post and a cradle on RB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 03:16 am:

Erik,
Here is a period, factory-built sidemount. The company used the ford spare tire rim and riveted their parts to it. It mounts to the frame and the running board braces

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

"Where on the car does this bracket mount? "

Erik -- The hole in the top of the mount fits over the stud on which the top iron pivots. The bottom rides on the running board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

I would like to find one for my 18 roadster, what would those look like?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

This is how Ford did wooden wheels on the side mount spare attachment. A "Y" mount was added to the spare mount for demountable wheels. Wire wheels mounted directly to the carriers.

I believe this attachment was used only on the improved model car. It wasn't needed in 1925 because there was no driver's door to block! :^)

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:20 am:

I have one like David Dewey posted, but haven't used it yet. My spare tire just lays in the bed. I haven't seen the 21" version, but I'm sure they made them. My car is a '25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:34 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

That's a smart looking RPU. Thanks Jay !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

There is a gentleman that makes a running board carrier. I posted the same question and he responded. I have forgotten his name; but will try to find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

Thanks for posting, this will help me in my search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

The gentleman's name is Jack Daron.

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profile=jackdaron-users
tire carrier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

I guess now I need to ponder which way to go. I like the simplicity of the pillar / tube mount that connects to the top iron, and I like the rear location. I am not so keen bolting the extra "Y" parts on, but I can live with that

Let the search for parts begin. Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 01:30 am:

Hey Jay, that photo looks just like my T. You often hear how nice the paint finish looked when new. My T (two posts above yours) looks just as shiny as that one... well it does until it stops raining and the rust dries off!

Hey Erik, that post mount is VERY Pricey and if an original VERY pricey, rare and nearly impossible to find. Combine that with it being wrong for 1925 and I suggest one of the after market, or a home made facsimile to mount on the running board. That would be easier, less expensive and period correct! ... There was even a 1920's after market spare mount similar to the one John showed which had a cool circular tool box which mounted inside the spare!

I couldn't find a photo of that neat spare carrier, I bet Jay has one. This is an ad for the luggage box to go inside the spare... I would make one for my pickup but the L.A.F.D. never used those!

IMHO, TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

Erik, I assume by now you have your answers and are happily on your way. I had to remove my spare mount yesterday so I took some photos of the spare mount which you might find interesting:

Spare mount on running board:

Spare tire on "Y" adapter:

Fine Ford engineering allows easy access to driver's seat, ... oops, my bad, remember to close the door before mounting the spare carrier ... you'll never use that door again!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

I normally have to get in the passengers side anyway with the brake in the way. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:02 am:

On the carrier that David Dewey posted, one brace goes to a starter bolt, and the other to a body bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Here's a home made carrier. It doesn't require drilling any new holes.

I think eventually I'll add a brace anchored by by the second set of running board bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

Here is the one that was on my 1923 runabout when I bought it. I am keeping it in case I choose to install a box instead of the turtle deck some day.

spare tire rack

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration