Question on ignition key

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Question on ignition key
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

We have a good ignition key for our '23 runabout and would like to have a spare key just in case. I looked on the ignition switch for a number but haven't found it. Also, the key doesn't have a number on it either. All the ignition keys I see at Lang's have numbers. Since our local lock smith can't match the key how do I go about getting a spare key? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

Sometimes the number on the switch is hidden by paint and/or crud. If you can't find a number, order a key blank from Bob Bergstadt and have a local shop cut it to match your key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

You know what your key number is on your Tumblr I can help you
Thanks again Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:25 am:

Get a set of 4 master keys. One of them will work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:43 am:

I had trouble seeing the number on mine so I took a fine file to the surface and it came right out. Just a lite shine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 08:22 am:

Thanks. I have looked for a number where I have seen the number in the past on other cars and no luck so far. The surface on the switch and the key are very clean but I'll go look again. Sure appreciate the help. Thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 08:50 am:

Bill, that's such a cool key display. What I wouldn't give (and be able to afford) to have one like that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:00 am:

If it is a repo switch there is no number, we have some keys for them, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:19 am:

If it has no number, the standard 55 repro key will probably not work, as the groove is offset slightly in the new repro switch assemblies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:22 am:

Thanks Robert. It may be a repop switch, I've only had the car for 2 weeks. Should I post a picture of the key for you or what? Thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:49 am:

There are many keys for sale daily on ebay. Just keep your number in mind when you look for another. Trying to have a locksmith make a new one for you is a waste of time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:59 am:

Just found that Lang's has 2 keys and a new tumbler for $16.80. I think it would be pretty simple to just do that. Thanks for all the good help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:57 am:

A word of caution. If the key switch is original you will find that the reproduction tumbler will not fit without a lot of work with a file to reshape the distal (key insertion) end

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:03 am:

How do you keep your number in mind when you don't know what it is? :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration