New motor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New motor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Smythe - Australia on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 07:16 am:

hi I'm new to the forum but here is my new motor with scat crankscat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mundinho Falcao on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 07:19 am:

That looks great Cameron!

I look forward to watching a startup video. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 07:26 am:

Looks a lot like the one I just finished - SCAT crank, aluminum timing gear, newly rewound field core. Should last a lifetime! Let's see a video when you get it running!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Smythe - Australia on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 07:46 am:

i have just had knee surgery so it will be a week or twonewnewnew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:32 am:

Nice work Cameron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:42 am:

Looks like an air inlet on the intake manifold. How does that affect running?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Smythe - Australia on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

i have blocked it off but left it there for a discussion point

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Sweet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 08:15 pm:

Looking good Cameron!

The "gizmo" installed on the intake is a Lydon Speedler, I believe or something along those lines - accessory air inlet to prematurely burn your valves !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

It shore is a purti motur. Definitely looks like it'll do the job. I look forward to hearing it run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Smythe - Australia on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

yes i believes so but it makes for a good talking point
i can't wait to get it back on the road as the motor in it was a 90 year old un touched engine
so with a scat crank, "Z"head,040 alloy pistons,highflow intake and straight through carb i won't no myself

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

If that is the engine going back into that little truck - you had better tie them there barrels down - hate to see good whiskey get spilled !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Smythe - Australia on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

yes steve I'm hearing you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

Looking good Cam, you didn't let a 40c degree day stop you from working on it so why let a few stitches in a knee cap slow you down!
I'm still recovering from the day before! but that's just from getting old I'm sure!
With the option of working or taking that T drive you know what will win next time!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Smythe - Australia on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 12:55 am:

yes frank I'm hearing you my loss

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 03:52 am:

Used properly as intended an extra air device won't burn the valves. What people tended to do was go to full throttle, open the mixture control and then open the extra air valve trying to get more speed or power.

As most drivers had little mechanical knowledge in those days they often got everything wrong and burnt valves.
Its use is mainly for
extra air

From a 1923 newspaper

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 06:36 am:

You went first class on that rebuild. Did the same on mine and have been very happy with the results. No regrets to the hit to my wallet. My Model T is every bit as dependable as my new truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Smythe - Australia on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 06:40 am:

thanks Kevin
not having much money i thought i would do it right and when i started it was dollar for dollar but when i went to start ordering parts the dollar dropped to 0.70 and it has hit me hard in the pocket but i think it is worth it in the long run
cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

I have one of those (I think) Lydon valves on the intake on the '23 engine that's in my '18.
Very cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

The Lydon Speedler devices must have been pretty popular back in the Model T era. I have seen a few intake manifolds with them and others with the holes drilled for devices. They were well made with every part nickel plated. Here are photos of a NOS unit that I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tucker Thomas Durgin on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

Good work on the engine! I'm intrigued by this Speedler, would someone be willing to explain to me in Layman's terms how exactly it works. It's instructions left me with questions. My Tudor has a hole plugged in the intake where it looks like one of these may have went. Sorry for my ignorance, trying to learn all I can, I am 27 and new to the hobby. Thank you. Need to know if this is worth putting on my car. I definitely appreciate the ingenuity behind it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

Duncan and Fraser offered a similar device as an accessory on cars they sold in Adelaide. I have found many manifolds with the fitting installed. My Roadster came with one. I was toying with the idea of fitting it, but not having it operable. However, I was reluctant to drill my new alloy manifold, so the components remain on the shelf.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration