Touring Ideas

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Touring Ideas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kennth hummel on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:07 am:

Its January and I got to thinking about getting out and touring again this year. The number of tours offered by various clubs is one or maybe two a year and depending on location and month held can determine if you could go on that particular tour. Sometimes you cant go and therefor you have to wait till the following year.
What would be nice is if there were a tour offered every month from May thru October and in the southern states a tour could be run in winter. These would be small, limited tours, two to four days and with 25 to 70 cars depending what the tour consists of. These tours could be run with the National clubs blessing or not. If the National club does not want to be involved, so be it. A group of Model T folks who would like to be on tour can just get together and do it. If a Chapter Model T group usually puts on a small tour for their group, they can now invite others outside their group to join them. I think that there should be enough interest to arrange for more small tours. People who put on these tours can keep it simple and cheap if they want. No banquets, tour books can just be 10 pages printed off and stapled together. Nothing fancy, just relaxing Model T driving with others. I have been across the country on the O2O tour in 2009, and 26 national and regional tours, and sponsored one.
If these tours can be executed, then this gives everyone an opportunity to go out and tour. I know there be a lot of nay sayers about this but I am not talking to you but the others that want to tour. Your thoughts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Yes, Mister Thrifty likes simple and cheap. This is partly a personal preference and partly living on a pension and social security. I suspect I'm not alone. There are already some local tours that fit the description, but I agree it would be nice to have more. It would take someone (actually a good many someones) to do the planning and preparation necessary for even a cheap tour, and someone to get the word out nationally. As with many good ideas, it won't happen without volunteers to make it happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:13 am:

Ken,

Come to Minnesota. We have two active clubs that tour every month April/May through October.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Yes Steve, you are not alone. The week long, or perhaps five day, tours are of interest and the price of the tour itself is not too far out of reach but the cost of lodging is usually the primary deterrent for me. That cost is just not in the budget.

Our local club (Central New Hampshire Model T Club) runs at least one tour a month from spring through autumn. These are day tours with the occasional overnight jaunt. These tend to be no or low cost tours. Impoverished Bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

Not exactly the same, but this reminded me of some old car people in St. Louis in the late eighties. I think the nucleus was mostly Model A people, but basically it was a group of about a dozen guys who had each other's phone numbers. If it was a nice day on Sunday, someone would start calling the others and put together a spontaneous run somewhere - out to the country, to a local barbecue joint, or whatever. It was just guys who liked driving their cars.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration