Circa 1922 Show room

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Circa 1922 Show room
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:43 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:46 am:

These photos make me smile. Can you imagine going into a dealership today and seeing drip pans under the cars? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:24 am:

Yes, the drip pans were pre-oil sight gauges. If it stopped dripping - even in the show room - you knew that you had to add oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

I wonder what the dealer would say to a prospective buyer about the oil drip pans. After all you couldn't help but not to see them.

Evidently Ford didn't worry a lot about minor leaks which would eventually happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

Most people didn't have garages and, if they had a garage, it probably had a dirt floor. I don't think oil leaks were a concern. Probably relative to other cars, a Model T didn't leak any more or less. Sure beats horse poop and pee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 06:34 am:

Heck...the first year y-block that came in my 54 Ford was a leaker almost from day one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Ron's comment about horses reminds me that my aunt Mary Parker, born in 1897, recalled that her dad and the other men, when they had to go, went in the livery stable along with the horses. On a hot August afternoon without a breath of breeze blowing it must have been a memorable olfactory experience accompanied by a prodigious turnout of flies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:53 am:

Steve, I had my '12 Buick upholstered by an Amishman in Pennsylvania. When I arrived at his place once after a 2-1/2-hour drive, I had to pee. He took me to his stable and opened the door to a stall. I tinkled right there with his horse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Well I guess there is some truth in the statement -- they all do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

.....this thread seems to be "dribbling" downhill,...... (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

I wasn't around in those days but, I do remember seeing brand new Harley Davidson motorcycles leaking into drip pans in the showroom. That's just the way it was back then and everyone accepted it.

(Message edited by 404_not_found on January 13, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

I'm finding it strange you fellers seem to find all of this strange. Talk about convenient, when I'm pulling a horse trailer, I never need to worry about finding a rest stop . . . ;- )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 11:39 am:

A Ford tradition----

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

Perhaps a drop or two was evidence that it didn't leak near as much oil as the other leading brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

To Dave Wells - If the horrible AMF Harleys didn't leak oil, they were out of it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration