Old Photo - Ford Picnic Grand Bend Ontario

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Ford Picnic Grand Bend Ontario
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:35 am:

Ford Picnic Grand Bend Ontario Model T. This photo was taken circa 1920 in Grand Bend Ontario on the shore of Lake Huron. It was the first Annual Ford Picnic for Ford of Canada employees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:39 am:

Ford picnic? 1920? Really? The two closest cars are gas-lit, and one of them isn't a Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:11 am:

Well, it is at least 1917, as indicated by the black radiator Fords.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:14 am:

Thanks to my armchair historian internet research, 1920 is most likely correct.

Ontario license were black on white in 1912, 1916, 1920, 1922.

I see more than one black radiator Model T. That eliminates 1912 and, depending on the month taken, 1916.

Click on this link. When it opens, click on the photo and you can see a larger, higher resolution scan of the photo:

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/sgc-cms/histoires_de_chez_nous-community_memories/pm _v2.php?id=search_record_detail&fl=0&lg=English&ex=692&rd=186530&sy=loc&st=Grand +Bend%2C+Ontario&ci=#

1922 is eliminated because, even though the photo is fuzzy, the date on the left hand side of the plate is not the same format as 1922.

Also, the photo is supposedly of the first annual Ford picnic. If you did some more research, you could probably pinpoint the exact date of the event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:59 am:

the non ford is a flanders 20. charlery

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

The year is 1920. Green numbers on a white background. It is the only year that Ontario plates looked like that regardless of how fuzzy the photo is. I took the photo below of my friend's 1920 Canadian Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

1912, 1916 and 1920 are very similar. Dark over white (in a B&W photo) and same insignia, abbreviation and date location.

1912 and 1916 use the same font. The 1920 font is different (note how the "1" is different - 1912 vs 1920).

1922 also has a dash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

Thanks Jay. I enjoy seeing these always.
Here are some comments on a previous viewing that some missed out on.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/589221.html?1448582378

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

The '17 - '20 plates were usually longer and not as tall as earlier years. As you can see, the numbers are very uneven because they were screen printed and each digit was placed individually. Starting in '21, the numbers were stamped in place and straight (embossed), probably because the bootleggers were altering their plate numbers. It's a 1920 plate. You can also see this type of plate in my profile pic.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration