Old Photo - 1930's, Dicks Auto Wrecking Iron And Metal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - 1930's, Dicks Auto Wrecking Iron And Metal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:41 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

i will take everything. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

Wonder long the cars stayed before they were crushed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Husa on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

I talked with a local person that had been involved with the destruction of a local taxi company back in the day. He said that they turned over the bodies and set them on fire to get rid of the wood and fabric before scrapping the metal.
Desperate actions for desperate times!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

A little later perhaps....look under the word ''metal''.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 04:18 pm:

"Dick's Auto Wrecking"

In my dreams ............

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

i would say that is dicks 40s cad which all them old fords payed for ha,ha. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

I was wondering about the date?
I don't see anything that is post 1945 and such a place would not have survived the scrap drives of WWII. So that would put it in the 30's, probably late. As some of the cars are 1930's, then they didn't seem to last too long??
Any thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 01:19 am:

Yes,Charley,I agree with you.That is either a'42 Cadillac or Buick,likely bought with profits of his business.
Tony,in my part of the world---Northeast Indiana,the old timers,rest their souls,told me many times about the relatively late model 'Big' cars that were in junkyards before WW2.
The reasons they gave for this was, the big cars were difficult to repair when wrecked or had a major mechanical problem. And,when running they were hard on gas,oil,and tires.
Model Ts ,As lended themselves well to being kept running in conditions of poverty.The myriad of ways to cobble a Ford into runnable shape did not apply to far more complex cars."That damn vacuum tank"that supplied fuel on most non Ford cars would rust,stick,leak,etc.and people got tired of fooling with them.
When the CCC or WPA,forget which,put in SR9 north of Columbia City,Indiana,the 'hollers' between the hills were filled in with Packards,Peerlesses,L29 Cords,along with other equally and also less impressive makes.And worn out grain separators and traction engines.A good friend Jack,RIP,had the job of hauling the cars from Killian's wrecking yard out to the worksite.Chained bumpers together and away he went.Pull 3or4 behind him.If one car ran OK he would use it till something broke.
They were stacked with a steam shovel and covered them up with fill.
His car was a T.He often thought how ironic it was to bury those expensive cars,that nobody wanted,while he and many others plodded around in old Fords.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By karen Pinkhard on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 05:55 am:

Thanks for sharing the photo, I have always loved old automobiles. It is always a good idea to upscale old things even at home. I recently read a blog that mentioned some benefits on upscaling ( https://www.junk-works.ca/locations/blog ).I hope that everybody would adopt this more and thus keep the planet healthy.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration