Not so Old Photo-Park the car!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Not so Old Photo-Park the car!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

Parking
More than one way to park cars? I never saw a setup like this. Wish we could see the apparatus used to get them there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

72 cars. wow! all of the ones closest to texaco are backed in the ones on the other side are nosed in. gives a whole 'nother meaning to you can trust your car to the man who wears the star!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

I saw a similar contraption operating in downtown Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in 2007. Fascinating!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

I guess it all worked out, but boy, that structure does not look strong enough for all those cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 02:09 pm:

http://www.complex.com/sports/2013/04/inside-jerry-seinfelds-super-secret-manhat tan-garage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

Those type parking garage mechanisms are in use all over Japan. Some of them you have to drive the car, others they use an attendant to drive the car, still others are fully automated and the car gets moved around with the wheels never having to roll.

I was scared to death when I had to use one where you are expected to drive when the green light comes on to move from one cube into the next cube. Very claustrophobic, and all the signs are in written Kanjii which I don't know at all .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

Saw it in Manhatten....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Could that photo be San Francisco?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:46 am:

The photo was taken in Portland OR.

https://vintageportland.wordpress.com/tag/modish-building/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:58 am:

Thanks Tim,
I'm glad you found the location. A friend sent a bunch of photos to me with no info. I only posted a handful here. Maybe a few more locations might be revealed by the vast knowledge of folks here.
Thanks again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

A while back the open-air parking lots all over New Orleans were sold lifts, that would allow them to raise one car high enough to park another under it, thereby doubling the capacity of the lot.

What the salesman (who was obviously very good) didn't mention, was that the catalytic converter gets almost red-hot, and takes a while to cool. So, if you lift a car up and pull another under it, you can do real damage to the roof of the lower car. Burn the paint if it's a steel top, or melt the vinyl if it's a covered or convertible.

Many lawsuits ensued!

BTW, this is like unto a problem that catalytic converters cause if you drive into high grass. You can start a prairie fire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

Yes quite a few in New York of various sizes.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration