Now that's Service!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Now that's Service!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

Service
Five attendants!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

the pump in the middle is a tokeim 36-b mine has the light tower like that, the other two are tokiem mod 34 s. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

What make is the car? I'm thinking LaSalle? Cord? Cadillac? I don't know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

Gas station attendants disappeared in this area at least 20 years ago. Different times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

LaSalle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

Thanks Gil, At least my first guess was right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

1937 LaSalle "Convertible Coupe", essentially what everybody else called a "Cabriolet". It had a smooth running 322 cu.in. flat head V-8.

To quote Edith and Archie:

"Gee, our old LaSalle ran great. Those were the days!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry Hibbs on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 08:33 am:

With MLK day just around the corner, I note that it was no coincidence that the white guys wear the slacks and button down shirts, and do the "technical" duties of checking tires and pumping gas, while the black guys wear bellhop uniforms and clean glass.
Those were the days, but not for everyone. Perhaps this can serve me as a reminder to make these days the best I can within my little scope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 08:54 am:

Gerry,
I hear you, but despite the ridiculous suits, those were probably pretty plum jobs for the era.

Contrast this photo with the gulf station one also posted here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry Hibbs on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Duplicate removed.

(Message edited by gerry_in_denver on January 13, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 10:01 am:

One of the first things I noticed when becoming a part of the old car hobby was that it was populated almost exclusively by aging white men—at least here in New York; I can't speak for other states. _Now, there's nothing wrong with being old or white, it's just that the unintentional but conspicuous appearance smacks of an unfortunate exclusivity.

The reason for this isn't exactly astonishing: Enjoying old cars is primarily about turning back the clock and, in many cases, revisiting lost youth. _Well, nostalgia is not a real favorite among people of color. _The further they look back in time, the worse they were treated and there just ain't no getting away from that. _As of recent years, though, things have been changing a little bit and the Muscle Car era seems to be just starting to come around.

Women, also once a rarity, now show up at meetings and shows with regularity and that's pretty wonderful. _Happy is the man whose wife reaches a greasy arm out from under an old car and says to him, "Hun, gimme a 9/16ths." _Oh, I've seen that happen (and I'd kill for the experience)!

Unfortunately, the smallest demographic in our field of hobbyists' endeavor is young folk. _Back when I was a kid, boys were born knowing how to drive and the lines in their right palms formed an H-shift pattern. _We grew up on the Kat from AMT and longed for the day when we'd graduate from training wheels to slicks. _Simply put, we grew up in a car culture.

The young have always been on the cutting edge of technology (which is why whenever we have a problem with digital equipment, be it a smart phone, I-Pad, blue-tooth, green-thumb, black-eye or whatever, we ask a kid to help us out), but technology in America has switched from a car culture to a computer culture. _Yup, computers are now what make the world go 'round. _Those of us with sons and daughters are familiar with the problem of trying to engage them in conversation while competing with their cell-phones for their attention—even at the dinner table. _Getting the younger generation less involved with those little mind-numbing thumb-exercisers and more involved with old cars would be better for all concerned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry Hibbs on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Yes, I saw that one, Dale. At least all the guys are cleaner in this pic, but the divide is pretty clear in the Gulf photo as well. To quote the comment there, "Guess who does all the work?"

No offense meant by my own comments. I just found the contrast striking and picked up on your quote to make the point.

As the saying goes, "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Kauper on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 03:10 pm:

In the background: Hofbrau Garden 6361 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA.

As it is today:

https://www.google.com/maps/place//@34.0979488,-118.3282276,3a,101.8y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sGulhaXndIz06CmsgXq8Ym w!2e0

No more sauerkraut. :-(

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration