Old Photo-It's gonna be close!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo-It's gonna be close!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

It's gonna be close!
Wonder if he made it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

I realize he hasn't landed yet, but I suspect this blows the theory of wooden spokes being weak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

From his launch angle and how flat he now is approaching the landing platform, I'll bet only his radiator actually contacted the ramp and flipped him backwards as he fell short.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

Hal, Your profile pic proves the theory as well. That's quite a load!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

RIP......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

French front Oldsmobile?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 04:25 pm:

Or maybe '05 Cadillac.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

I would agree, a '05 Cadillac.
The more I look at this picture, the worse it seems.
It appears the front wheels are already lower than the landing ramp surface.
Also, notice the "floating" position of the driver.
He's coming down fast (vertically!) and the only thing keeping him and that car together is his death grip on the steering wheel!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

I think the angle the picture was taken from makes it look like a disaster in the making. Hopefully he made it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

That "death grip" on the steering wheel is actually the driver trying to lift the front end of the car a few inches !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

Looks like the wheels are already below the edge and he is past the peak and on the way down. I doubt he made it. But what happened to those thrill seekers running on the ground?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

I belive he is well above the ramp. The ramp is dang near 20 feet high judging by the height of the people beside it. The picture is taken from ground level. I have little doubt he made it. If he didn't, we'd be seeing other pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

David, I estimate that load to be 1800 to 2000 lbs. It handled it well. As a matter of fact, it rode better than being empty. I did take it easy and crept across the RR tracks I crossed twice on the way home. I also stayed in Low up the block long hill I went up. It's not steep, but I didn't have anyone behind me and I didn't want to jar the load.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

I believe those people are about 40 feet back from the ramp, OR they are only about as tall as the car's 30 inch rims!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Those rear wheels are spinning fast... creates the gyroscope effect... might help... might not. Maybe?

On a side note, I had a chat with a driver involved with the "Monster Truck" arena/insanity. They use throttle and brakes for control while the trucks are rolling end for end in the air. Given whatever those huge wheel assemblies weigh, quite the gyroscopes.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration