Barn Find 1926/7 T's (bought them 50 years ago and stashed them)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Barn Find 1926/7 T's (bought them 50 years ago and stashed them)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Olson on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

My name is Rick, I live in Colorado Springs and I started hoarding Model Ts 50 years ago.
I worked on them off and on for about 20 years and had the Tudor running and the R/P body and bed stripped and primed. then off to a job in Rochester, NY in '89 and "parked" all my T stuff in a good friend's barn and started paying storage for an expected 3 to 5 years. Last month (27 years later) I finally got them out into the daylight again and they look great to me.

I have been lurking in the shadows of the Forum for a couple of months trying to soak up what I need to know to dig in to the Tudor (it was running when stowed) and get going on making it roadworthy. I have most of the books from MTFCA and the Bible as I have been a club member all these years (member number ~8300 whenever that was issued). I was a member of the Rocky Mountain or Denver Chapter back in the day and have renewed just in time to be part of the 50th Anniversay celebration this summer. I am watching all the newbie tips and listening to Jeff and many others who are so willing to share high quality tips and even tutorials. My biggest challenge is to stop organizing parts and get the nerve to start to work on some system (I really want to hear the engine run again!). I have at least a 100 To Dos in my mind and just need to stop cutting bait and start fishing.
Thanks to all who make this an incredible hobby and incredible fountain of information! I'll be back with questions and donuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

How about some pictures? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 06:14 pm:

Welcome, sounds like you've got the materials and safety checklists to get going. I'm someone who fears doing it wrong too but doing nothing feels even worse. I made a top 5 list and just jumped in. If I make a mistake (which I have) I just add it my schooling and carry on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Olson on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

Pictures coming as soon as I find get file sizes shrunk (shrinked?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

Well Rick ...

Welcome to the forum ....

The cold should help with the shrinkage ..... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Olson on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

How true FJ! Trouble is, it is shrinking my patience with IPAD faster than it is shrinking the photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Olson on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Roadster pickup first daylight in 27 years ,
27 R?P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Olson on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:41 am:

27 Tudor - First daylight in 27 years27 Tudor -Daylight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:50 am:

Here's a step-by-step made exactly for your situation: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG93.html.

And if this hasn't been done, it should be high on your list: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:53 am:

That Tudor looks complete and in good shape. If it were mine, I would probably leave the body as is and work on getting it running and in good safety condition. If the glass has not been replaced with safety glass, that is one of the first things to do for safety. Second would be the brakes. You need good auxiliary brakes, especially in a mountainous region. Also check the rear axle for babbit thrust washers. If they are still there, replace with bronze. While it's apart, check out all the bearings and gears. If excessively worn replace.

Try to get the engine running before you do any work on it. Then you can assess it's condition and repair if needed. If you do remove the engine and you want to keep the original ignition system it would be a good time to replace the magneto ring with one which has been rewound and recharge the magnets. Here again is a situation where you need to replace anything which needs work while it's apart, because the biggest part of the job is disassembly.

There are clubs in the Colorado area and I would highly recommend that you join the closest one for fellowship with good members and help from those who are familiar with those in the area who can be of help.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Olson on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

Jeff, thanks for the "made to order" checklist. After getting the engine related systems squared away that Thrust washer will be the next item of business. Funny that I never heard them being a crucial issue to watch for in the 70's.

Norm, good plan. I figure to start with the gas tank, sediment bulb, and carb.
Going to my first meeting with the Mile High chapter next Saturday, a tech session on NH carbs. Also, I have set aside 2 decent 12V diesel truck batteries for recharging my magnets.

I couldn't agree more with your philosophy off "the time to fix it is while you are in there the first time". I hate rework that could have been avoided.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration