Chevy to Ford? Why not?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Chevy to Ford? Why not?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

Today I decided to get ready for the arrival of my new tube. It was my plan to remove my old 21" rim and replace it with a better one. A quick glance at Mac's shows they have just the thing... $430 each. Hmm, this is for a car I purchased 20 years ago for $5. A quick trip to my junk pile disclosed a few rims I got at a swap meet for $2 ea., all were better than the one I was pulling off of Rusty.

I am sure that the swap meet vendor went home chuckling about what a sap I was for buying useless Chevy rims for my Ford! I agreed with him as they have been in the junk pile for maybe 12 years now.

Since my tube hasn't arrived I spent about an hour transmogrifying the Chevy rim into a Ford rim. It turned out to be a rather easy process. The problem is that the lugs and valve stem hole do not clock the same on a Chevy 21" rim that they do on a Ford Rim... hence the $2 price tag.

Here you see the brown felt pen inserted into the valve stem hole on the Chevy rim and the black felt pen inserted into the felloe valve stem hole... they "missed it by this much" (Don Adams Agent Max Smart).

I bet you all can see where I am going... the valve stem location is marked:

Drilled and then countersunk:

While at it I drilled out the old Chevy valve stem guide (yes I cut that locking bolt off flush on the inside):

trial fit with an old valve stem to check it all out:

I was going to spring for the $430 rims, but then I realized there was shipping added on to that.

You can spot a Chevy rim because of the slotted rim lug. The downside is I might get docked a point on my next concourse d' elegance... but at least I can drive there!

Please let me know why this shouldn't work just fine!
TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

I forgot to show the finished rim:

Also what a slit lug looks like:

Hmm... I'm a bit unhappy with how that wheel looks, I hope it is just the angle of the shot and not that the spokes are rotated in the hub a bit. I guess I am going to have to get serious about obtaining, or making, new spokes.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Hi Terry,

I have studied the picture of your wheel and I think that after 20 years you have gotten your five dollars worth (car's purchase price) out of that wheel.

Golly, I might use that in the back yard, but no further that I'd want to walk back to the shop to get another wheel. Please be safe. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 03:38 am:

If I'm not mistaken, the Chevy 30x3 1/2 clincher rims have that same slotted lug, makes them easy to spot as the T rims have a lug that has an elongated hole instead. They also have to have the valve stem hole relocated. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 04:13 am:

I don't know about the split rims, but Chebby clincher rims are wider than Ford rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 06:38 am:

Morgrification at it's best Terry. Think of the enjoyment factor as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

Years ago I got a trailer because it had a T pickup box. The trailer was made of a 1926 Chev front axle with 21 inch wheels. I salvaged the wheels and rims because they were perfect and replaced the hubs with T front hubs. Installed on my TT ...drilled the felloes for relocated valve stems to accept T rims...now I have both T and Chev rims available for the front end of the TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holger T. Berthelsen on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

My 26 roadster pickup had two wheels on it that the fellow was.drilled for a chevy rim if needed.You could fit either rim on those wheels.Painted black you hardly noticed the extra hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

Terry,

Looks great. I'm hoping you might consider spending the saved funds on new spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

Result: I drove the car all over town and on errands yesterday... about 25 miles. All is well, I plan to repeat the feat today.

The conclusion I draw: if you need a split rim and no good Ford rims come readily to hand modify and use a Chevy rim, it will work fine.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

Terry, I did the opposite. I simply drilled a new hole in the felly and stuck a black plug in the old one. The hole can be easily weld up if needs be plus chevy got it right by making the tire easier to change since the stem is opposite the latch. Either way works. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

This rim had the stem about an inch from the latch (4th photo from the top of the page).

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

I have a pair of 21" Hayes wire wheels for a T. The rims are unique to these wheels and thus are really scarce. A few months ago I was having a clean-up and among the parts not used in the restoration of my roadster was a 21" Hayes split rim which had been hanging on the spare tyre carrier when I bought it.

It is a Chev item, and fits the Hayes wheel just as it should. Now I know what to look for, I should be able to find another.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration