T or TT traction

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: T or TT traction
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 06:45 pm:

I'm thinking about building up a T or TT to help around the house - snowplow, crane, winch, etc... What is slowing me down is traction with an open differential. How have others solved this problem?

Not interested in a commercially made 4x4 kit, I know they exist and I can only wish I could afford one right now. I am mainly looking for home brewed solutions. Don't say "chains" either - that's great and I have some. But right now I'm pondering the one wheel drive problem on ice snow or mud.

Or - if anyone remembers that locking diff kit from the 80's - "hinder binder"? was the name I think - I would like to buy or borrow one.

I don't come on here much so if I go MIA and you want to reach me - you can find me through my website: http://tfoye.com/ or PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

TT is what you will want for this, I think. If welding up the differential is too extreme, how about separate controls for the rear wheel brakes? Anyone who has a vintage tractor like an 8N or 9H Ford knows you can apply the brake on the side that is slipping and send power to the other side. This is also common on dune buggies and rock crawlers. The truck rear end would be better for this as they have larger brakes and lower gears ratios. Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Les made repros of the Bailey locking diff; maybe that would help if you decide on a T? See:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/313839.html?1348765359

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

For maximum traction, get a kit to build one of these:

sno

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Welcome back Tim Foye (Gen3) always enjoyed your posts of your machine shop. Would you please modify your user name from just "Tim" to something more specific? There are several "Tim's" here and we should be clearly identified to avoid confusion.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Tim, I here what your saying, but so far with chains, my TT rear axled doodlebug has had zero issues with traction. Before chains, forget it. I would loose traction plowing snow on the pavement.

I guess I would say that instead of reinventing the wheel, try it out first. But if you figure out something in the mean time, I'm all ears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 04:33 am:

I don't know why you would need anything other than chains, other than maybe some extra weight on the rear. I think that would be much more effective than any "posi traction" device. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

Did Les ever finish that project?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

I know Les did have repro Bailey diffs for sale; send him a message and ask.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

Sorry for the delay, had to deal with another funeral. That's two in two months or 3 in 15 depending on how you look at it. Two grandfathers and my mother. Thank you Constantine for the input. I was hoping he would chime in but I guess I will have to write him directly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

My condolences for you and your family's loss.

I'd too be interested to hear if Les has field tested a Bailey diff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 11:39 am:

Thanks. Yes, he said he has one running. Made ten and selling them but it's out of my reach.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration