Are portable airbag backpacks a possible safety option for Ts ??? :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Are portable airbag backpacks a possible safety option for Ts ??? :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjoZJnwW2ts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

The video doesn't give any details on how the backpack bag is triggered. My impression is that the snowboarder manually activated it.

Things happen way too fast in a car crash for that to work. I could only imagine something like that working if you put crash sensors on the front of the car. You would then have to connect the backpack to the sensors every time you got in the car and set off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Remember, the airbag in new cars is designed to work in
conjunction with the seats and headrests, basically wedging
the occupant between the padded upholstery and the inflated
bag. A simple bag would shove me right through the back
of the cab in my TT !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

What was that guy's name? Ole Truck? Moldy junk? I didn't quite catch it. I'll listen again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

A company called hit-aire makes safety vests for horse and motorcycle riders that use a lanyard to set it off. My wife now has one, and it has saved her from injury twice when she was thrown from a horse. It has an eighteen inch coiled lanyard the attaches to her saddle, and when she is thrown more than that from it, it pulls out. A 44 cc CO2 cartridge goes off and inflates airbag all around her, supporting her neck, and protecting her chest, and tailbone. It takes .2 seconds, and retains the pressure for several minutes. It is very light weight and fairly open, so it is not too hot to wear in the summer. Prior to getting it, wearing a regular safety vest, and riding helmet, she broke nine bones and was airlifted to the hospital, where she spent 34 days! Over 300,000 dollars in bills!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

William, is that a unit that can be repacked and re-armed with another CO2 cartridge?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

Yes, you repack and snap the bags back in, and it comes with the tool to reset the lanyard in it. The new cartridge is about $20.00. I think the one she has was in the $500.00 range, a bit pricy, but a lot cheaper than broken bones!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

A 10 cent 22 caliber shell could have saved a lot there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

Geez Jack, ya don't shoot the poor woman for falling off a horse! Oh, wait, I ah...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 04:26 am:

And that's why I won't ride a horse! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mundinho Falcao on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 05:28 am:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/snow-worries-mates-early-birthday-gift-helps-aust ralian-escape-avalanche-20170112-gtqidu.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 06:43 am:

Saw a Model T airbag in the past.

thanks Toon.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Sounds like a great idea. I can see having a lap belt in the car and the lanyard hooked up near your neck - when you start to whip forward in an impact it inflates, got to save some grief although it won't protect your head from the windshield, you need to be wearing a crash hat for that.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration