Starter switch problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Starter switch problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

I was having starter switch problems even after having the coils and starter motor rebuilt and a new Bendix which it needed. I then cleaned the contacts in the ammeter especially the generator and battery contacts on the ammeter side. The lights burned brighter and the horn was louder after doing this, but the starter switch would still not turn the starter motor. I cleaned the old starter switch, but the insulators had deteriorated so I replaced the old switch with a new good switch from Lang's. This time when I pressed the starter switch, the coils would stop buzzing and the lights and horn would stop working. I was about to test the starter switch to starter motor cable and maybe replace it when I finally decided to clean the bolt, nut, washers and the area around the hole where the bolt goes through the frame for the battery ground cable. I had already cleaned the cable end. After this with a little choke and two or three turns on the starter switch, the T fired up. It had never started so easily and quickly. I now have brighter lights, a louder horn and a better starting T. The moral of the story is clean first then repair if needed. Cleaning contacts can solve a lot of problems. Thanks to the folks on the forum, my problem was solved. The forum is great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

Yes, EVERY connection needs to be bright and tight David.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

"Bright and Tight" Catchy sound to a good motto!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration