Westby Wisconson-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Westby Wisconson-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

Where is the ski jump?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 05:41 pm:

I think every town in America had a building built on a street corner with the building corner cut at the intersection for the door. Must have been very popular construction for the time period. My home town has one or two like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

Dennis - Yes, at least one building right "downtown" with the corner cut off at a 45 deg. angle, and at least one, two or three story building on another corner with one of those 1890's or "turn-of-the-century" towers or "turrets" or whatever you call them. You know, with the curved window glass and and a view down one "east-west" street and the other view down a "north-south" street, and an upside-down cone shaped pointed roof. I always like to imagine what a great spot that would be to sit and have morning coffee and watch the town wake up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

Harold,

Proper architectural nomenclature defines a tower as carrying it's
profile all the way to ground level. A turret would cantilever out at an
above ground level, usually a second floor or higher. Otherwise, they
are pretty much the same idea. "Caps" can be anything from "witch's
hats" to onion domes to square, wedged or pretty much anything the
architect could dream up ! It WAS the era of unrestrained ornamentation
and whimsical design. My shop will be a nice example. Here's the entry
glass, set in their holes:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 01:11 am:

Well,....thanks Burger! I'm kinda' surprised,....I sorta' "subconsciously" or maybe more like "accidentally" used the right couple terms, but didn't quite know how (or why) to use them! Thanks to you,....now I do! Actually then, I guess what I really had in mind then was the old buildings with the "turrets". Anyway,...I think they're neat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

It looks like the church steeple is missing down the street.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael - Detroit, Mich on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

While we're on the topic of stained glass...

Here's one of the windows in my "Castle", built in 1890.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

Great glass, Michael. My most recent window acquisition
came out of Detroit. A lot of building done there at "the right
time".

Harold, ... happy to 'splain. I like that stuff so much, my
new place is built to look as if it went up in 1885.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

Why did they remove those wonderful street lamps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

Herb, I see a lot of missing church steeples in small towns. They're always the tallest building and lightning takes them out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

I think weather and rot usually get's them as they are usually hard to axces? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 11:48 pm:

Question: "Why did they remove those wonderful street lamps?"

Answer: Because our culture is stupid and lazy, preferring to trash
what is historic, cool, and has character and replace it with yuck.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration