Has a test been done? Engine pans and cooling

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Has a test been done? Engine pans and cooling
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 09:23 am:

I'm wondering, it seems most everybody is running an open engine (without engine pans) for good reason considering how they do get in the way. Considering though how they might change the cooling around an engine especially with no water pump has anybody done any test to determine if they might help or hurt cooling?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 10:08 am:

Actual test? Can't say but it seems obvious that their presence or absence would affect the direction of air flow. Some air will go down the open areas without the shields but cars without them don't cook so the point may be moot. Just maybe they were for keeping dirt/stuff out of the compartment and didn't have any appreciable cooling advantages.On the other hand, with HF's penchant to cut costs why didn't they disappear? Don't see a pump having any affect on air flow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:02 am:

While a pump may not have any affect on air flow the air flow is key to the cooling flow without the pump.

As to why they didnt dissapear. Without them if the air flow was reduced such that the thermo syphon system would not be as effective then a couple plates would be alot cheaper than a water pump on every car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:12 am:

I use the engine pans on our 14 and if one wants to know if they are useful,remove the dash shield above the hogshead and check for air flow. At 20 mph or above the air flow will raise the floor mat! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:21 am:

I have them on all my cars. I have also not had them at times on the same cars. I don't think there is any significant effect on cooling.

They certainly keep the engine compartment much cleaner and they catch parts and forgotten tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:35 am:

Awhile back, there was some discussion on the forum in regard to removing the top floorboard in order to let some engine heat in the car during cold weather. I tried it an it did not work for me at all. Not that I really needed the heat all that much, but I was just curious as to whether or not that would work. Again,.... it didn't. (I do not have engine pans in any of my T's.)

This thread makes me wonder if having both engine pans in place might just make all the difference. Seems like much less cold air would come up from under the car, and air that has been warmed by the radiator and further warmed by passing by the engine and being pushed back by the fan might have a much greater tendency to come into the car if top floorboard is removed. Again,.... just wondering,..... harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

On all three of my T's those pans were removed before I got the cars. I have helped work on a car for a friend who has them and will say this, that they are just one more thing to take off and put on when you pull the engine.

I live in southern California so don't have any experience driving in extremely cold weather, but we do sometimes get over 100F and I live in the mountains so do a lot of uphill driving. I don't use a water pump but do have good radiators on my cars and the only overheating problem I have had is when I thought I had the radiator full but it was just the wet baffle I saw. The coolant was actually at least a gallon low. When I keep the coolant at the proper level I can climb a 6% grade of 3 miles and stop at a signal at the top without overheating.

If you have extreme blowby from your engine, you might get more inside the car with the engine pans in place.

They were originally installed to keep mud from splashing up into the engine compartment, but with our modern roads not as much mud is present.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

My '26 touring didn't have them when I bought it. I found a set in good shape and got them back into factory "almost new" condition with a little extra work. After driving many miles with them missing and installed, I noticed absolutely no difference in my motometer reading at all. However, I do like the looks of the engine compartment with them installed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration