Old Photo - The Twenty Millionth Ford Dealership Celebration

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - The Twenty Millionth Ford Dealership Celebration
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 10:18 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

Model A serial numbers start with number one, or keep on from the T numbers? Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

Model T numbers go on up to 1941. Model A (1903) and Model A (1928) would be separate series.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

David,

The 20,000,000th Ford was a 1931 slant windshield 4-door. As Steve noted, serial numbers for the Model A started over, but for that one car the numbering deviated with both the engine and frame stamped with 20,000,000.

The following was related to me by the man who restored that car:

Over a decade or more ago Ford Motor Company went looking for that car, based on some fairly strong rumors that it had survived and was in northern Michigan. A slant windshield 4 door was located and the ownership was traced back to a former secretary who worked in Fords executive offices in the late 30's. Apparently it was given to her since by that time it was just an "old car". The car they found did not have 20,000,000 stamped on the block, not surprising since engines were routinely swapped for engines from rebuilders or wrecking yards.

The owner agreed to allow Ford to take the car for restoration, but despite the offer of a substantial amount of money would not sell it to Ford.

The man in charge of the restoration told me that after removal of the body he rather nervously ran a wire wheel over the rusty section of the frame which the serial number was stamped into. Sure enough, it was stamped 20,000,000 to everyone's great relief. With the authenticity confirmed they proceeded with the restoration. Since the owner still would not sell an agreement was made that Ford would fund the restoration in exchange for exclusive use of the car for some period of time. I forget how long he told me that was.

I learned this when the car was brought to Kansas City for a Model A club event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

Who cares about some stinkin' Model A ? :-)

Let's keep this ON topic, people ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 12:20 am:

This is geneology. The ancestor of the Model A was a Model T. ON topic. Nice story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 12:47 am:

All part of early Ford history.
Some interesting Model A's in that pic ; check the '31 [far left] Town Car, or so it appears with the fabric drivers partition? They did a huge promo tour to drum up sales in Depression.
Ford had use of the restored 20 millionth car for 10 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 01:47 pm:

I would expect the 20 millionth to be out in front, but maybe it's inside the showroom. There's a sport coupe in the center too! (Sport Coupes were a fairly low-production model--not as low as the A400, or the Blindback slant window Fordor, but still not common, 50,000 made in 1930 compared to how many coupes??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 03:43 am:

There was only ever one twenty-millionth car from Ford. It toured the USA extensively on a well-publicised tour. However, there were lots of imitations of the 20-millionth! They were encouraged. I suspect this is yet another example - the imitations were encouraged by Ford as a sales drive during a time that car sales had largely stopped (the Great Depression).

We even have a 20-millionth Model A here in NZ!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:07 am:

Thanks Jay for sparking the conversation, and thank you Gary for the history lesson. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 11:09 am:

For those interested here's a link to a bit more information about "finding" and restoring the 20 Millionth Ford.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/713505.html?1484489220

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

Tim -- That link brings me right back to this thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

Mike -

I posted that link to see if anyone was still following this thread. I now know that at least you are.

Actually, no one has ever accused me of being very smart, and the above post with the wrong link is just another example of why that is so.

I will find the proper link and take another shot at posting it and hopefully accomplish the stated objective.

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

Try this link:

https://www.mafca.com/downloads/Restorer/20M_2001.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

A great story Timothy - really interesting thank you. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

Thanks Timothy,

I've never seen the story from that link you posted. I got it word of mouth from Mr Deters when he delivered it to Kansas City. My post had the essentials correct though.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration