Hubcap question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hubcap question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 02:57 pm:

Seeing hubcaps that have been chewed up, cracked or threads wrecked etc, I have often wondered just how tight they really need to be. I would think with the fine pitch thread and light coating of grease, hand tight with maybe a slight 'snug' with the wrench would be plenty?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

I think the damage is less from twisting them and more from hitting them against garage doors etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

Mark,
That is quite true, to be sure. My thoughts were of ones that look as though they had a 6 foot pipe wrench used on them. I would think most trouble would result from no lube on the threads and corroding. More likely on the rear hubs?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration