Safety glass

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Safety glass
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

I have a '22 Centerdoor with all original interior and glass. I want to replace the glass but am concerned that the rather fragile upholstery will be ruined in the process if the side panels have to be removed. Is it possible to replace the glass by removing only the metal trim around the windows?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 05:00 pm:

Remove the trim and detach the felt window channel at the top. Remove the metal trim where the door latch is also. You should be able to lift the glass up and tilt it inward at the top. That works on my '22 Centerdoor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

Also there is a spring loaded assist arm that rides on the bottom of the window channel. Be aware of that and try not to lose the spring or you will be taking the upholstery panel off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

Don, Would the Centerdoor spring look like the '22 Coupe assist spring? If so this may aid Val if he has an issue. He may just be able to open one side of the panel and rehook it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Yup exactly like that, thanks Dennis. I looked for a good picture but I don't have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

Thanks, I was hoping that it could be done that way. I seem to recall someone had the dimensions for each of the glass panels. If anyone has that information it would be a great help as I want to get the glass cut before I start taking things apart. Also, what is everyone using to hold the glass in the channel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 07:55 pm:

Model T windshield and closed body glass Pamphlet T-11.

Posted on my Photobucket account.
Here's the link:
http://s290.photobucket.com/user/fordmodelt/media/Model%20T%20Windshield%20and%2 0%20Closed%20Body%20Glass/fordglass.jpg.html?sort=6&o=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

Be aware that if you have to replace the window felt channel then you need to narrow the glass. The re-pop window channel now days is thicker and will cause a problem if you don't narrow the replacement glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

Thanks Jay that is what I was looking for. Don, I think my window channel is still serviceable but I also thought that safety glass is not as thick as the original plate glass so perhaps I should think about new window channel if it is thicker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 05:03 am:

Val, when I say "narrow" I'm talking about the width of the glass not the thickness. Original glass thickness can vary from 3/16" to 1/4" or more. I had a Fordor with a rear window that was almost 3/8" thick. New safety glass is 1/4" but you can order 3/16" for a price. I would take out the old glass and mark which window as to where and how it goes. Then take the glass to a shop for patterns. Nothing is more frustrating than a window that is hard to open and close. The Tudor I restored awhile back the owner used the original window for a pattern and then put the re-pop window channel in. The result was a window so tight it couldn't slide up or down. The replacement glass is limited as far as being trimmed once its cut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

Thanks Don. I need to find a glass place that will work with me and so far that has proven difficult as they don't want to be bothered. Assuming the channel is serviceable using the old glass for patterns sounds like the way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

The least expensive way to go is a glass shop NOT a automotive glass shop. They can cut it with a good pattern. I just put all new safety glass in the Centerdoor at the cost of $360.00 using a commercial glass co.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

That is great advice. Thanks again Don!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration