One for the insulator collectors-Hilton NY-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: One for the insulator collectors-Hilton NY-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

I know Burger would want all those ugly poles removed and all the unsightly wiring run underground and the building to have a nice vinyl siding instead of painted clapboards. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

Don't you think they were probably proud of the telephone poles and wires in town?
They were an indicator of progress,and being current wit the times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

I'm an insulator collector. There's gotta be something I need on those poles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

Both the telephone and light bulb were perfected in 1876 and remained a
bit of a novelty for a few years before gaining widespread acceptance. And yes,
one often used to see surface mounted wiring for lights on old buildings that
was a real public statement of status and opulance. Funny how, as it became
more common and the systems more bulky, it was seen a cluttered and messy.

As this photo tells us it is Hilton N.Y., these poles belonged to either New England
Tel & Tel or AT&T of N.Y., most likely the latter. I do not believe NET&T served that
far west. The 10-pin arm construction became standard new build protocol with
the introduction of AT&T's new "Long Lines" program/system that was introduced
in 1888. Prior to that time, there was no such thing as a phone system like we know
today. Only local exchanges that rarely interconnected with neighboring systems.

I am immediately drawn to how low those low crossarms are and instantly dismayed
at how our culture of the day kept their stupid mitts off stuff that wasn't theirs, .. today
it would be an endless source of lawsuits for idiots who just "had to" touch the wires.

The back-arm pole at far left looks to be an exchange pole, where local circuits were
dropped into the telephone office/exchange and the operators worked the switchboards
Back then, just about every town had one. I do not see the exchange box or cable
drop to the building. But the buck-arm construction and odd height rise from the
other two poles suggests it is an exchange pole, as does the Bell Telephone sign
on the building.

I am with Dave. I'd LOVE to scout this line for oddities !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 09:33 am:

The wooden buildings burned down in a big fire in 1965, but the brick buildings at the end of the block survived.

http://www.libraryweb.org/rochimag/hiltonpathfinder/topic4.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 10:40 am:

My great uncle worked for a telephone company back when that stuff was built.I think Southern Bell.
Wish i could'a talked to him more about that kind of stuff but I seldom ever got to see him when I was young.
I remember him telling someone that in a swamp in Georgia there was a nearly new 34 International sunk to the roof if they wanted to go dig it out!.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration