E - Timer question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: E - Timer question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

Has anyone ever used the E-Timer system on their model T? The advertisement sounds great but after several phone messages and emails that were never returned it makes me wonder. Opinions and experiences would be greatly appreciated. Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

If use the search mode with the keyword "e-timer" there should be numerous threads about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Frank - Opinions will fit both ends of the spectrum but the folks that have used them in real life driving conditions like them. I'm in that group.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

Pass the popcorn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

Over my dead body will you get my Etimer...love it!
Frank,Who are you trying to contact?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

Frank, Sounds like you may be confusing the E-Timer with another product. There is only an email contact provided on the www.modeltetimer.com website and I make every effort to reply to every email inquiry.

If it is the E-Timer you have specific questions about, you can e-mail be at mictel@comcast.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 04:57 am:

I've been using an E-Timer for about 18 months now.
All the advertised claims are true. I wouldn't go back to mechanical timers with the improvements the E-Timer has given my car. In short, it provides perfect cylinder to cylinder timing and with no mechanical parts to wear, the timing will stay perfect forever. I have noticed an improvement in low end torque meaning I can drive my car in top gear longer. As it can also take over the function of the coil points and capacitor (this is the default installation method but with ECCT adjustment you can have the points and capacitor active), it has the advantage of providing perfect coil performance for those who don't have the facilities to adjust or repair their coils. Only the windings need to be good. Then there's the automatic timing, which can be enabled or disabled as much as you wish without any tools. It provides a noticeable improvement in hill climbing when set to automatic.
I should also point out that I have always found Mike Kossor to promptly respond to any queries, so it does sound like you may have confused the E-Timer with another electronic system, which incidentally, works on quite different principles and does not use the original Ford coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Oh boy. Here we go!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 11:04 am:

"Oh boy, Here we go!"

No, I think the other thread is gonna be THAT one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 11:39 am:

I use an e-timer on my coupe and just love it. In fact I know of nobody in the area who has installed one and doesn't love it.
Several folks have problems installing modern electronics on a 100 year old car, but that has little to do with how users feel about them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

LOL Hal! Yeah, I just saw that one a minute ago. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

Frank:

I hope you have had a good conversation with Mike Kossor, the inventor of the E-Timer, on your inquiry of the E-Timer advantages.

I was a beta tester of the E-Timer project and still run my '26 Runabout on the E=Timer. Would be honored to answer any of your questions off line, if necessary.

\
Bob Jablonski

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

I will Never give up my E Timer!!! Don't know anyone else that uses one that would either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 12:05 am:

I believe Dean Yoder stated recently on the forum that he used the E-Timer to drive about 10,000 miles in 2016

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

And who knows how many miles he put on it last year. I believe he did the National Parks tour last year and that requires driving a lot of mountainus territory. He also stated he only changed the oil once this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

It's settled then. Everyone should be using an "E-Timer". To hell with the original set up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

Come On NOW Tim.... Nobody has ever said that..

You're just trying to start an agreement and get this thread kicked off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

I saw Tim's post and wondered -- can this effect more than performance?

How about auto insurance?

"Modifications that change the look and performance of your vehicle are assessed by insurers to be a higher accident risk. These include engine changes, sports seats, body-kits, spoilers, etc."

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/blog/car-modifications-car-insuran ce-prices/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

My car came to me with no magneto and with a Truefire ignition installed (works great). Not being one to tear into a car that runs well, I'm currently enjoying the car as it is. :-)

I have purchased another flywheel and all of the missing magneto parts, along with a Wally S. rebuilt magneto coil ring and a set of five ignition coils freshly rebuilt by Ron Patterson. They are currently waiting their turn in the basement. No, none of the parts are for sale.

My original intent was to run the Truefire until the engine has to come out for some other reason so that I can install all of the magneto parts.

After all of the favorable experiences related on this forum, at some point I may pull the Truefire, install my rebuilt coils, and run an E-timer that I currently have on the shelf as an in-between step. It probably won't run any differently from the Truefire (especially if I choose not to use the automatic timing advance feature), but at least I'll get the genuine coil buzzing sound instead of the modern, artificial buzzing sound of the Truefire.

If I ever do this, no, the removed Truefire will not be for sale.

Decisions, decisions! :-)

(Message edited by cudaman on January 16, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

Modifications

A Frontenac they might spot, but an E-Timer?

If you don't tell them, how will they know?

"Modifications that change the look and PERFORMANCE"

Hmmm, Braking performance, as in Rocky Mountain Brakes. Hmmm........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

Thank You everyone that responded to the topic. I am convinced that Mike has the best product and I am ready to buy! By the way, I did not in any way insinuate any fault or problem with the product or service, it was not my intention, I merely wanted to know everyones opinion on the performance of the E-timer, which was overwhelmingly positive as expected but I wanted to be sure. Having a 105 year old car can be frustrating and expensive real fast if the wrong part is installed. Thank You all. Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

Frank,
Your front timing cover wont support a modern seal on a 1912 to keep a E timer oil free, you will need a later cover of a 15/19.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

I expect an E-Timer's effect on insurance would be zero, just like Kevlar band linings, bronze thrust washers, dippers, or any of the other common changes not visible from the outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

It is possible to install a modern seal in an early cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 06:28 pm:

True Gene, find someone to mill it out to take a seal or just fit the later cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, January 16, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

George:

Grabbing at straws ??? Really ???? The E-Timer project started with the idea of encasing the internals in a Ford issue commutator housing so that it would be non-detectable to the trained Model T enthusiast.

Steve Jelf's post adds to some other modifications that are not detectable.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Bob, not grasping at straws. I too am "assessed by insurers to be a higher accident risk" with my water pump and LED tail light. Both not original at the time of manufacture in 1922.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:08 am:

An LED tail light puts you at higher risk? Is that nuts, or what? It puts you at lower risk of being rear-ended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

I wouldn't think the insurance company cares unless performance (Acceleration/top speed) is somehow significantly increased over and above what it was when it was new. Therefore I don't see water pumps or LED lights being a concern. E-Timer? Well......based on some of the reviews.......?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

George & Hal:

Still grabbing at straws......

Really ????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

What do the straw clutchers think of Model T's with distributors, true-fire ignition, and high voltage magnetos? Then there's enlarged intake manifolds, over head valve conversions, accessory gearboxes, and so on. Or is it just the E-Timer we are looking at for a justification to pick on?
A car that's less likely to stutter through a busy intersection because of a worn timer or badly adjusted ignition system, and can accelerate quickly and reliably on demand, would surely be in an insurer's favour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 06:03 am:

Ya got something there john H. ...... straw grabbers leading up to promoting no insurance if the car isn't strict factory issue..... absurd !!!

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 07:28 am:

Where's your sense of humor, Bob? You know damned well that was funny!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration