Starter motor sealed bearing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Starter motor sealed bearing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

Where does one buy a replacement sealed bearing to replace the original babbitt bearing? Is this something I can buy locally?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 12:00 am:

Same as a Model A clutch pilot bearing. Its a standard bearing, but I'm not at the shop to look it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 12:08 am:

I believe its a 6201 2RS bearing. You also have to make a small spacer between the bearing and the armature.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 12:16 am:

John , Do you mean the bearing ID is a little too large for the armature shaft? What number is that ... what brand?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 12:21 am:

He means you have to add a spacer between the bearing and end of the armature. The bearing profile is thinner then the original babbitt bushing or replacement brass bushing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 07:55 am:

A 6201-2RS 1/2 ID bearing is needed for the starter shaft armature end (the shaft is 1/2) when replacing the Babbitt bushing in the brush cap.
Several Model T parts suppliers sell a kit including the correct bearing and spacer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 08:25 am:

I get mine from Langs: https://www.modeltford.com/item/5106RB.aspx

Pretty sure the other vendors carry them as well. I would also get the nose cone bearing with the oil seal: https://www.modeltford.com/item/5105SK.aspx

They can be a little tricky at times to install but work well at keeping engine oil out of the starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

Found the sealed bearing 6201 RS at Autozone for 1.99. That's the good news. However the shaft won't go in. Hesitant to turn down the shaft before I hear that this is the right thing to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

Mark,
Shaft is already too small--don't turn it down!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

Mark
As I attempted to explain in my message above and elaborated in more detail in the message I directly sent you; the standard 6201 2RS (double rubber seal) is the 12-32-10 mm metric bearing.
The end of the starter armature shaft nearest the commutator which originally used the Babbitt bushing is 1/2 inch OD. You need the 6201 2RS 1/2 ID bearing which is .5 inch-32MM-10MM.
Otherwise you will have to turn the end of the starter shaft down to accommodate the 12MM ID of the 6201 2RS metric bearing. I do not suggest you turn the starter armature shaft down to 12 MM unless you have machinist skills and know exactly what you are doing.
I rebuild starters and find many of them where folks have turned down the end of the starter shaft (in most cases very poorly so the bearing slip fit is lost.) to use the 6210 2RS bearing, which, by the way, is the same small ball bearing used in the Model T Ford generator.
In my view the correct way to add a ball bearing to the starter is to get a 6201 2RS 1/2 ID bearing. Regardless of which way you go you will need the spacer.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration